Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
heh... they've probably already approached their ad clients about upping fees.
You mean they approached Apple and asked for more money? =)

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
I like the new iphone design

Im getting one...Thanks Gizmodo

Now go and Rest in Peace

Its time to stop posting!!!!!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1646/stopposting.jpg

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Apple or the police? I think the paperwork starts/stops with the attorney general.
apple. because police can't do a thing unless apple makes its claims. so yes, apple wants gizmodo guys go to jail and that is why police have started their actions now.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Apply to? No need to apply. Get educated, as in, learn to be a bit objective when relating events, learn how news is reported. Learn that "journalism" isn't editorializing about your pet peeve or favourite product/company.

If you're running a blog, you're not a journalist by that alone. It's not enough to describe your day, what you wore, what you ate and what you happened to read in the newspaper and reacted to to be a journalist. Getting paid to write your pieces is, for example, one way of separating yourself from the rest and actually be able to call yourself a journalist.

Unless you're going for the "a person who keeps a journal" meaning, which in this context would just be odd.
too bad I can name only one magazine that lives by your rules. on an other hand i can name a dozen magazines that cant be categorized as journalism by your rules.

...must ...stop... offtopic
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by nidO View Post
Actually thats not where it directly becomes theft, but where it becomes rather more unclear.
As was reported, the guy tried numerous times to return it to apple, and the reports say that he was told by Apple what he has is just a knock-off, and not to bother them about it.
Granted, he was probably only talking to monkeys on apple's helpdesk and only got a TR for his trouble, but if theyre the only point of contact apple will provide to him, then by the law you just quoted he clearly did make "reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and restore the property" by contacting them, whereupon the owner told him the device wasnt theirs and they didnt want it.
Both the guy and Gizmodo clearly had strong evidence the device was Apple's, so no effort was reasonably needed to locate any other potential owner, and he made all reasonable effort to return it to Apple before selling it (as reported, anyway).
The article says that he found the owner's facebook page on the phone but he didn't try and contact him through facebook. It seems all he apparently did was dial a few apple phone numbers, wait a couple of weeks and then sell it for 5 grand. If he knew who's it was but couldn't get in contact with them why didn't he turn it into the police, wouldn't that be covered under "reasonable and just efforts"?

To quote a calafornian civil law (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/C.../6/4/1/s2080.1)
If the owner is unknown or has not claimed the property, the person saving or finding the property shall, if the property is of the value of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, within a reasonable time turn the property over to the police department of the city or city and county, if found therein, or to the sheriff's department of the county if found outside of city limits, and shall make an affidavit, stating when and where he or she found or saved the property, particularly describing it
I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks that it's reasonable to sell something they found in a bar when it obviously is worth a fair amount of money.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by nidO View Post
Actually thats not where it directly becomes theft, but where it becomes rather more unclear.
As was reported, the guy tried numerous times to return it to apple, and the reports say that he was told by Apple what he has is just a knock-off, and not to bother them about it.
Granted, he was probably only talking to monkeys on apple's helpdesk and only got a TR for his trouble, but if theyre the only point of contact apple will provide to him, then by the law you just quoted he clearly did make "reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and restore the property" by contacting them, whereupon the owner told him the device wasnt theirs and they didnt want it.
Both the guy and Gizmodo clearly had strong evidence the device was Apple's, so no effort was reasonably needed to locate any other potential owner, and he made all reasonable effort to return it to Apple before selling it (as reported, anyway).
That would be reasonable assertion if the person in question is Joe the plumber.

This guy is knowledgeable. Heknows the ins and outs of the business. He's owned previous gens iphones and are familiar with all sorts of gadgets that his blog covers. He's sure enough of its value to pay $5000 for it.

This guy is connected. I bet he knows 1000 ways to get in touch with Apple internal guys if returning the phone was his true intention. Heck, he can just take a picture of the phone and send it to sjobs@apple.com to get some response. (Yep, that is Jobs' real email address).

Lastly, this guy is motivated. His true intentions were clear. He wrote half a dozens of articles in his blog about it covering just about all aspects you can think about it: the event: the actors and everything to write about the device itself. Including a tear down of the device. If that's not milking something dry, I don't know what is... he's definitely got his $5000 worth.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Woz - inventor of the best computer Apple produced, the Apple II. It all went downhill with the Mac

Find him at www.woz.org

Maybe Gizmodo will wake up and stop talking out their asses about terrible Apple products.

Who am I kidding? He's probably sucking off Steve right now...

I think it's perfectly acceptable for the police to be pursuing these guys, Gizmodo knowingly and willingly purchased a 'stolen' item and if they are also covering up the person who 'stole' it then they are an accessory.

I say 'stolen' as it wasn't owned by them and they did not report it found, but chose instead to profiteer from its recovery.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Apple strikes back!

ref: http://topherchris.com/post/551530253
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!