Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
1) MeeGo is not ready for daily use, probably not until April, and as it will be a community supported project may never be acceptable for daily use depending on what your needs are.

Android (nitdroid) is close, but does not yet have voice calling support or GPS, and has a few other issues. Hopefully these issues will be worked out sooner rather than later.

Ubuntu, doesn't have voice support etc, probably usable as a mini computer, also check out easy-debian.

2) See above, I wouldn't consider it usable at this point.

3) USB Host, not possible at this point. There has been some recent successes, but nothing really ready beyond very alpha type stuff. Hopefully, at some point this will be ready for end-users.

4)Overclocking can certainly damage the N900. Extent and probability are unknown. If you are concerned I wouldn't overclock. I don't think there have been any reports of anyone killing their N900 from overclocking yet.

5) luck of the draw. Some units do better than other units.

I would suggest you purchase the N900 for what it can do today, not what it may be able to do tomorrow. Otherwise, you may end up regretting your decision when some of the things you are looking for don't turn out like you expected / hoped. Also bear in mind that the N900 is not a phone and is missing many basic phone features that you may be used to (group ringtones, voice dialing, etc), some have been addressed by the community, others haven't.

I would suggest that if you are asking these questions, you haven't done enough research, and probably shouldn't buy it (at least until you do a lot more research).

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Well then by all means expand on why I am wrong. Don't just go and state "You Are Wrong" and leave it at that.
You made a claim that seems to contradict known facts - 7 months of widespread overclocking, and not a single verified hardware damage report - without any support. Substantiate your claim, and I will expand on where you are wrong.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
most probably you won't be using the n900 anymore after 2-3 years from now , that doesn't mean that it will stop working after 3 years , however it will become obsolete by that time , that you will want to replace it .
Hey i dont get bored so fast (I still have my psion revo wich is 10 years old and still work like a dream )
And i won't replace it, i will probably buy another phone (whenever a phone better than n900 will come out) but will keep the n900 forever like my psion

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Just as a tangential point here, if you're coming from an E90 you WILL get pissed off at the N900's keyboard, as it's shockingly small, cramped, and bad compared to the E90's. It'll take a lot of getting used to.
Also, depending on your usage and amount of research you've done, be aware that Maemo has some significant functionality impairments compared to your E90. Most significant of these is probably email functionality, the N900's Modest install isnt a patch on even S60's default mail client, let alone ProfiMail.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
speaking about keyboard, is there any keymapping application for n900? like magickey that i have installed in the e90. You probably ask why do i need this-well mostly for games that does not allow costum key configuration.
For example in order to play kobo deluxe(a pc game ported to symbian os) with keys: a-left,w-up,x-down,d-right i have to use that app, becase game does not have controls config

Most significant of these is probably email functionality, the N900's Modest install isnt a patch on even S60's default mail client, let alone ProfiMail.
Well i usualy check my mail from phone's internet browser, so no problem with that

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You made a claim that seems to contradict known facts - 7 months of widespread overclocking, and not a single verified hardware damage report - without any support. Substantiate your claim, and I will expand on where you are wrong.
While there haven't been any reports of overclocking damaging a N900, that doesn't mean that their haven't been any damaged. I'm not sure how "widespread" overclocking is.

More to the point, there is ample evidence that overclocking can damage hardware in the x86 world. There have been many fried cpus, gpus, memory, burst capacitors, etc. I haven't fried anything, but I did seriously corrupt hard drives while overclocking (wait I think I did kill a stick of ram). Bottom line, in my experience, overclocking can kill hardware, and you'd have a hard time convincing me otherwise. It's irresponsible to say that there is no danger in overclocking.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
overclocking MAY damage the cpu ,by overclocking , you increase the frequency and voltage of the cpu , you may increase the frequency only , however it won't be stable , so you would end up increasing voltage also
That's not quite true, none of the overclocking profiles go above the default voltage for 600Mhz when clocked up to 1GHz, it is only at frequencies higher than that it will go above standard operating voltages (unless you create a custom OC profile that does otherwise). So with most N900s you will be able to get some level of overclocking without increasing the voltage. The OC profiles actually focus on decreasing the voltages for normal operation to increase the battery life.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
That's not quite true, none of the overclocking profiles go above the default voltage for 600Mhz when clocked up to 1GHz, it is only at frequencies higher than that it will go above standard operating voltages (unless you create a custom OC profile that does otherwise). So with most N900s you will be able to get some level of overclocking without increasing the voltage. The OC profiles actually focus on decreasing the voltages for normal operation to increase the battery life.
yes.. thats right , you may want to increase voltage above stock limit only when modifying / creating a custom profile so that it can operate at a frequency , that was originally unstable , example , you install power kernel , and go with ideal profile , you try to increase maximum frequency to 1150 MHz , your n900 reboots after a couple of minutes, that means it's unstable , you can edit the ideal profile and increase voltage in steps and try again and again till you find a stable configuration, you can find more info on this in the wiki page on power kernel .
please note that increasing voltage above stock is NOT recommended at all , this can cause severe damage or even fry you processor on the spot (depending on how many voltage steps you add) !!

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
While there haven't been any reports of overclocking damaging a N900, that doesn't mean that their haven't been any damaged. I'm not sure how "widespread" overclocking is.

More to the point, there is ample evidence that overclocking can damage hardware in the x86 world. There have been many fried cpus, gpus, memory, burst capacitors, etc. I haven't fried anything, but I did seriously corrupt hard drives while overclocking (wait I think I did kill a stick of ram). Bottom line, in my experience, overclocking can kill hardware, and you'd have a hard time convincing me otherwise. It's irresponsible to say that there is no danger in overclocking.
Only heat will damage the CPU. Damaged hardware in the x86 world is mostly due to prolonged heat exposure like overclocking and inadequate cooling. If the N900 reach those temperatures of the x86 world, you won't be able to hold it, so the danger limits itself automatically for the N900. Theoretically overclocking will reduce the operational life of the CPU, but in real life it is irrelevant, more like 'using up' the life of SD cards by defragmenting them.