Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post
i'll go out on a limb here, but maybe that's because i'm a normal user (no developer, no power user -yet, no linux know-it-all)... but i think that this phone is the best that can happen to meego... let me explain: more mass-market appeal = more mass-market reach = more sales volume = more attractiveness to develop the meego ecosystem = more meego devices, including those oriented to developers... result: to prevent what happened to n900 -> one device for power users with no consumer base and therefore a relatively small ecosystem.

...but of course i may be wrong... =P
Yes, you are.. cause such devices already exists and have been made by other brands... so why bother? That device does not make me want it.. the only great thing about it is the 1024 ram which was the only real flaw of the N900.

edit: But then.. i just want a portable linux device that can take calls...

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2011-06-21 at 07:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
MeeGo for masses, it seems.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Yes, you are.. cause such devices already exists and have been made by other brands... so why bother? That device does not make me want it.. the only great thing about it is the 1024 ram which was the only real flaw of the N900.

edit: But then.. i just want a portable linux device that can take calls...

...maybe you're right and i am wrong... but again, such meego (or even maemo) devices did not exist (until now) and it might appeal to a segment that is neither android nor apple oriented... it's a new contender in the mass-market... i'd say give it a chance and a fair amount of time...

The Following User Says Thank You to juanenrique For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Mhm... so, after reading the websites and watching the videos: What's the disruptive thing about it?

It's a very simple phone. It cannot do many of the things my current Symbian or N900 can do. There's nothing new to it. At least nothing we know of, and I somewhat doubt the big bang is yet to be announced.

People kept hinting that there'll be something special about the screen that will make me "not miss the hardware keyboard"... doesn't look like it.

So - yes, it's a GNU/Linux based phone (thank god!), but I fail to see the huge leap forward I had expected after reading posts from those in the know. Those who had access to the prototypes. In fact, with all the things missing....

I'll buy it, anyway. If ever it becomes available.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I fail to see anything GNU/Linux about this phone.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Mhm... so, after reading the websites and watching the videos: What's the disruptive thing about it?

It's a very simple phone. It cannot do many of the things my current Symbian or N900 can do. There's nothing new to it. At least nothing we know of, and I somewhat doubt the big bang is yet to be announced.

People kept hinting that there'll be something special about the screen that will make me "not miss the hardware keyboard"... doesn't look like it.

So - yes, it's a GNU/Linux based phone (thank god!), but I fail to see the huge leap forward I had expected after reading posts from those in the know. Those who had access to the prototypes. In fact, with all the things missing....

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki

Just for clarification: the whole thing about future disruptions is about what comes after the N9, not the N9 itself. The N9 is very much about world's firsts: all-screen phone, webkit2 browser, 8 MPIX camera with 16:9 wide angle lens, Dolby Headset support...

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
despite all the criticisms, i actually hope the N9 will help Nokia make enough money to convince them to pour more resources into Meego and a TRUE N900 successor. let's hope for the best. from this perspective, i understand why the N9 looks more like an iPhone than the N900.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Those "leakers" are a fking joke lol.

Did all they could to hint at something "special", but nothing is "special".

And they did it knowing that most ppl here will be disappointed...

... they are worse then abill_uk hah

I want to see how good the photos are with 8MP+fcamera/Blessn900

for my use case, i want USB hostmode. does N9 or the N950 support it?

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????