Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Hey all,

I am just wondering could something like a mobile OSX or mobile OSX application emulator possible by any chance? I think it would be cool to have something like that.. Because then we could run many things that the iLol can run..

This is just a thought, that's all, I am not trying to start a flame war here between the iPhone and N900...

Thanks in advance,

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
hhhmmmmm i like the sound of this. so we could run all the iphone apps. maybe even have fake 2 finger multitouch. id pay for that.

Short answer: no

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Y'all are just closet iFans..
Why would you want to run iPhone apps on Maemo?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
lol. just to say to the iphone guys. stick it

Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
It's a good job this proposition is near impossible.

The last thing this community needs is people developing apps so 12 year olds can tell 'iphone guys stick it'.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
Lol exactly what I had in mind.. "What can the N900 do?" "Well, it can do alt of things and one of those is run almost any app from any platform!"..

And when this thought came up in my mind, I was also thinking about the nice cool apps that the iPhone has (not saying that all of them are cool and useful).. but there are some very nice apps that aren't available on other platforms.. Maybe like controlling your DVR from where ever you want (only for DirectTV though)..

Jst a curious question.. why isn't it possible.. legal issues?

Last edited by bandora; 2010-02-03 at 15:27.

I wonder how impossible it really is - I saw somewhere that someone got OSX loaded on an N900 (with a 2 hour boot time).

Also, the iPhone software is based upon linux somewhere along the way isn't it...?! Ya never know... lol.

And no, before you say it, I don't like iPhones at ALL and couldn't care less if this is done...!!

Exactly stayloa... There is an emulator for running real OSX so why not the mobile OSX?

And again guys.. The point of this thread isn't to start any fanboyism flame war as stated in the OP.. So please there's no need for the bashing and calling other people 12 year olds... etc.

I just think this would be really cool to have.. since this is a hacker's device and all.. To be able run multiple platforms... Not to forget this will also be big news for the US and Maemo would be even more popular (not that it isn't already popular).. So it's a win win situation... IMHO..

And if it can't be done due to techincal issues or something like that.. Well no hard feelings at all since this is just a thought proposal that came up with at night..

Last edited by bandora; 2010-02-03 at 15:41.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Exactly stayloa... There is an emulator for running real OSX so why not the mobile OSX?

And again guys.. The point of this thread isn't to start any fanboyism flame war as stated in the OP.. So please there's no need for the bashing and calling other people 12 year olds... etc.

I just think this would be really cool to have.. since this is a hacker's device and all.. To be able run multiple platforms... Not to forget this will also be big news for the US and Maemo would be even more popular (not that it isn't already popular).. So it's a win win situation... IMHO..

And if it can't be done due to techincal issues or something like that.. Well no hard feelings at all since this is just a thought proposal that came up with at night..
Open source emulators exist to facilitate the emulation of OSX. No such emulator exists for iPhoneOS. There is, of course, the closed source emulator included with the iPhone SDK. Running that from an emulated OSX would provide quite a few 'lol's, but little more.

Saying that having mobile OSX would be really cool on the n900 is like saying that it would be really nice if your car ran on orphans rather than gasoline. You have no idea how such a thing would work, there is questionable benefit, and this idea is for a sick, sick, cause. If someone were to work on such an idea, human rights organizations (Apple, if you are keeping up with this extended metaphor) would be quick to object and would do anything within their power to shut the project down. Such a project would inevitably lead to the destruction of the orphan population, just like how the stealing and using of iPhoneOS on other phones could annihilate the iPhone population. Sure I condone the removal of orphans/apple from society as much as the next guy, but, you have to admit - it isn't right.

The Following User Says Thank You to notnarb For This Useful Post: