Hi everyone.
am completely new to Maemo/Linux .
I am trying to install Maemo on fedora core 8.
I am trying the automatic installation procedure but got stuck...so,please advice on what I should do to complete the installation.
These are the steps I followed--

1) downloaded maemo-scratchbox-install-4.1.2.sh & maemo-sdk-install-4.1.2.sh into a folder on the Desktop named 'maemo1'

2) in command window-
$ cd /root/Desktop/maemo1
$ sudo sh ./maemo-scratchbox-install_4.1.2.sh -u user
[lots of instructions appear]
$ sh maemo-scratchbox-install_4.1.2.sh -s PATH /scratchbox
[lots of instructions appear]
$ sh maemo-sdk-install_4.1.2.sh
[lots of instructions and the last sentence says 'Script not run as root user..no'
E:This script shouldnot be run as user root. ]

I don't understand what's wrong.According to the documentation given in the PDFs in maemo.org,I should be getting a message box asking me for choices.

Do I have to create another user id and login using that and then run the last command? Currently, I am logged in as 'root'.
Please advice.[I have attached the messages I got in the command window in word format]
Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc maemo install.doc (5.0 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by rishiraj; 2009-02-02 at 10:34.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You should run this script as the user you gave above when installing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Moscow, Russia
I had plenty of issues with maemo installation in fedora too. Even when you try installing it step by step accordingly to instructions you'll get plenty of error messages anyway. There is lot of tricks with kernel's parameters etc. I believe those guys from nokia were testing their installation scripts in Debian family distibutives only.
But there is vmware with ubuntu+maemo sdk and maybe it'll solve the problem for you.
I'm currnetly using it that way but still have a hope installing it directly in my fedora.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Las Vegas, NV
TYPOS DUE TO THUMBPAD

It would be great if there was working n800 port to i386 debian. I hace p2 laptop with 286 meg of ram that would probably get alokg very well wih this n800 deskop manager. Having maemo woring on the old dell wth the ability to apt get light apps like gtk stuff would be great. So far puppy nix runs ok, but it tends to put a lot in ram. Damn small linx or slitaz with maemo on top f it would be swet!
.....glen

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxbear For This Useful Post: