Active Topics

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Darius:

1.) There's no such thing as an N770. I think you're talking about the Nokia 770.

2.) Nokia never supported the whole 770 package base to begin with. Nokia doesn't maintain 770 applications. The developers do. Most of them seem to be slowly migrating from a dying platform (ie your 2-generations-behind-2.5-year-old-tablet.)

3.) You keep saying as far as I know but you don't seem to know much. I'd chalked your original garbage up to being hammered but nobody's liver can keep it up for that long. Amazing.

(Reading the posts and shaking my head all the way)

Oh boy I haven't been so close to updating my (extremely short) 'ignore' list since you-know-who was active. Still hoping to avoid that though but..

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by Darius2006 View Post
http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2006/sy...uct_dba_page=3

http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2006/sy...uct_dba_page=4

Please email Ari Jaaksi, Nokia's director of open source
to take full control over maemo.org's activities
to keep N770 applications available for download/install as previously.

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/

Darius
Darius, but you can still install the applications even though there is no one-click install. Isn't that good enough?

I usually click on the "homepage" for the application and then download it from there. I agree it would be better to have a 1 click install but this way works. I usually download from a PC the .deb file and transfer it to my 770 using a USB-card reader. Then run it on the 770.

Is there any software you can't install? (A few programs are out of date but most are there on the project homepage link from maemo).

- Another Happy Nokia 770 user

Last edited by nosam; 2007-11-27 at 20:28.

Originally Posted by nosam View Post
Darius, but you can still install the applications even though there is no one-click install. Isn't that good enough?

I usually click on the "homepage" for the application and then download it from there. I agree it would be better to have a 1 click install but this way works. I usually download from a PC the .deb file and transfer it to my 770 using a USB-card reader. Then run it on the 770.

Is there any software you can't install? (A few programs are out of date but most are there on the project homepage link from maemo).

- Another Happy Nokia 770 user

I am an N800 user, but I can agree that that isn't "good enough." There is no valid reason to remove the 1-click install. What if they did this to the N800/N810? I bet more people would be angry then. The link isn't costing them a fortune, and in fact removing it was more work than leaving it there. Well, I guess I can only expect this type of phasing out to occur to the N8x0's once the N900 hits. Wonder if people will complain then...

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
What if they did this to the N800/N810? I bet more people would be angry then. The link isn't costing them a fortune, and in fact removing it was more work than leaving it there.
I don't think Nokia went and removed it - these applications were community developed and I think they just got old for some of them and the links died. Someone with more experience can correct me, [EDIT: like the next post ]
but I think its not a "plan" or anything active on Nokias part. The developers just let it go. Since they were nice enough to create software for us - I don't really mind having to go to a home page to download it.
ANy high demand or useful software is pretty easy to find and install - and a million friendly ITT folks will help if you have a problem installing.

Last edited by nosam; 2007-11-27 at 21:32.

Reality check : is there any evidence - apart from Darius's rants - that anyone from Nokia actually *removed* one-click install icons from the OS2006 Catalog on maemo.org ?

As I noted earlier, there have always been lots (most, actually) of 2006 apps without a .install file, either because their repositories were created before the feature became available (and the authors didn't bother to add it afterwards), or because they never had a repo in the first place and were available only as downloadable .deb files.

And if some icons were green before and have now turned grey, how do we know it's not because the repository it pointed to, just no longer exists ? Maybe there is some sort of link checker that runs through the catalog entries periodically and disables links that have been unavailable for extended periods of time...

These are just suppositions, but at least they're sensible. The guy is obviously somewhat paranoid, so let's just keep our heads. Conspiracy theory is a fun game that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Are you sure there ever was a one-click install for all those? Haven't they just recently made that a default feature of the redesigned site?

Terrorists are taking over maemo.org!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every time you use a .install file, the terrorists win.

(I was more onto his defiance about the "N-Series" 770... given the development network is a loose patchwork of people, it's no surprise repositories are going up and down left and right.)