Active Topics

Originally Posted by LongoriaKAt View Post
Ok again Darius i dont want to bad mouth at someone but darius is always the There is a virus on this guy and the need two n810 to test wimax and now this , maybe its the language barrier or something but this guy just jump to things like this time to time so ....just saying
My dear friend,

Wimax technology comes from third parties and is not offered by Nokia, as you and others are aware and I have already tested mobile Wimax, connecting my laptop to Wimax, driving a car.
Any problems with you ?
Any language barriers to understand typed text ?

And back to issue.
Installs have been removed for many aplications/ packages
but still work and are available at page No.1
http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2006/sy...uct_dba_page=1

Installs worked and still work for OS2006.
Just see full path to installs page above.

I really don't know why N770 should be no more supported.
N770 is an excellent piece of hardware.
Excellent application, wifi internet access, gps navigation and
priced at $100 makes it the only internet device on a market of this kind.

Removing N770 applications make really no sense.
N770 is great.
I paid $280 for my new in the box N770 just few months ago in Europe.
Price was really high and the seller claimed it to be worth of its price.

N800, N810 are ok, but N770 is still an excellent Internet WiFi access gizmo and excellent Maemo Mapper based navigation tool.
Screen resolution is excellent.

So I am really surprised what makes Nokia to stop supporting it at maemo.org.

Darius

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Darius, instead of sending an email to Ari, you could send an email to the developers of these applications so they upload it to a repository.
If these applications aren't in a repository it can't have a install file. Well, it can't have a true install file.

All applications that I have done or have ported, have a install file in the catalog.

Originally Posted by convulted View Post
AFAIK, ITOS2006 does not support one-click installs, which is why all the ".install" arrows are grayed out.

EDIT: P.S.: The "N770" does NOT exist. It is a Nokia 770 and not part of the Nokia N-Series. This might cause confusion to new users.
Dear Senior Member,
please don't fool us.
Installs work excellent for OS2006.
Just go to maemo.org and see
some installs for OS2006 are still available
on page No.1

And to me, neither N800 nor 810 is a part of the Nokia N-Series.
N-Series stay for Symbian based cell phones only.
N770, N800, N810 are neither cell phones nor Symbian based.

N770 is worth of its price $85 at eBay with buy it now option
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nokia-N770-I...QQcmdZViewItem

+ $15 shipping making $100 total for a new N770.

Darius

First of all, my "Senior member" status has nothing to do with this. It just means that I posted a lot of messages. Whether they were/are of any value to anyone or not is for you to decide, not for me. Now, for the sake of everyone let me re-iterate.
1. I started my first post with "AFAIK" which means "As far as I know" -- and I later admitted to being mistaken. So, there.
2. As to the N-Series subject... I'm afraid that what you think is irrelevant here -- just as irrelevant as what I or anyone else outside Nokia thinks -- it is Nokia which decides what devices are in its N-Series or not, and Nokia decided that the N800 and N810 are, but that the 770 is not. Crystal clear. I really don't know why you are taking this personally.
3. Please don't get me wrong. I hold the entire NIT range in very high regard, and as I said before, I own both a 770 and an N800 (gifts from a very generous family!) and still believe that the 770 still fulfills a role that cannot be fulfilled by the N800; namely because of its ruggedness and its genius rigid cover.

If I am wrong anywhere, please point it out and I will readily admit that I am wrong if it is indeed the case.

EDIT: I am not trying to "fool" anyone. I'm sorry if I offended your sentiments but I have never tried to say anything but the truth on these forums.

Last edited by convulted; 2007-11-25 at 12:46.

Hmm, my bad then sorry -- I haven't used OS2006 for a long while (and I said "As far as I know" in my post!) As for the N-Series question, ask Nokia why they didn't include the 770 in their N-Series lineup. I could not care less (that part was not meant to be offensive) about the capabilities of the 770. If Nokia did not officially include it in their N-Series, then it is not part of it. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

EDIT: Just in case this gets across the wrong way: I love all three Internet Tablets, and firmly believe the 770 is a pioneer in its own right. Still, it is probably the case that Nokia thought it was too immature (and in some ways, they were probably right) to include it as part of its flagship N-Series, a move that was thankfully corrected when the N800 came out.
Ok my boy,

you said
"
AFAIK, ITOS2006 does not support one-click installs, which is why all the ".install" arrows are grayed out.
"

Wrong.

you said:
"
EDIT: P.S.: The "N770" does NOT exist. It is a Nokia 770 and not part of the Nokia N-Series. This might cause confusion to new users.
"

Frankly speaking if you go to N-Series Internet menu at Nokia website, only N810 is featured as part of N-Series.
Nothing said about N800.
http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=...ences,internet

And at
http://www.nseries.com.au/wifizone/
only N800 is featured but not N810

As I see, N-Series stays for New Products not exactly for
Nokia Products.

from Google
Personalized Results 1 - 100 of about 138,000 for n770 Nseries.

Google image search
Results 1 - 18 of about 692 for n770 Nseries.

Google image search
Results 1 - 18 of about 692 for n770 N-series.

Google image search for Nokia 770 and N-Series

Results 1 - 18 of about 3,580 for "nokia 770" N-series.

Google web search for "Nokia 770" and N-series
Personalized Results 1 - 100 of about 76,100 for "nokia 770" N-series.

Google web search for "Nokia 770" and Nseries
Personalized Results 1 - 100 of about 76,100 for "nokia 770" Nseries.

So
Nokia 770 = N770 = N-series = Nseries

Darius

The first N-Series link on the Nokia website, in the products menu, has both N800 and N810 but not the 770.
Now, how did I allow myself to get dragged into this..?

Originally Posted by LongoriaKAt View Post
darius is always the There is a virus on this guy
Point well taken!

Darius is half-deluded, half-delirious as usual.

At this point there are 245 applications for the 770 on the maemo.org download page for OS2006.

It is true that the one-click install scheme was first introduced for the 770, with one of the last updates to OS2006. However, it only really became standard and mainstream with OS2007 on the N800. Also, the Garage and `extras` repository were not then what they are now.

That explains why a lot of the apps there lack a green`install` icon. Most authors didn`t bother setting up a repo and just offer a deb file to download from a Web page. Then again, a lot of the recently updated ones like Mauku MMapper etc. do have the icon.

In any case, I don`t see the evil Nokia team censoring anything from us poor 770 users...

Oh, and Darius, whatever you choose to believe : the N770 doesn`t exist, only the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. And the `N` in N800 and N810 does stand for `N-series`...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
The first N-Series link on the Nokia website, in the products menu, has both N800 and N810 but not the 770.
Now, how did I allow myself to get dragged into this..?
My dear friend,
what makes you to insist N770 is a lower-quality product made by Nokia
Priced now at $100 N770 is topseller.
I am not aware of your marketing strategy to downgrade N770 tablet.
Look at marketing policy by Apple.
Support is provided to old iPod players as well as to my iPod touch.
Please don't say us we were so stupid to buy Nokia product N770, paying as much as $300 or more not coming from N-Series.
I don't care for it.
There is no official definition N-Series stays for.
Community definition is N770 comes from N-Series.

Only yesterday you have tried to downgrade users of N770
claiming quick installs were not possible.

Nokia, owner of maemo.org , is removing installs of tens of applications intended for N770 OS2006.

What's wrong with you guys.
You efforts to downgrade N770 as a good quality product make no sense.
N770 is very good tablet and nothing can change that opinion.
It's not fair not to support quite new product to force buyers to buy new models.
It doesn't work that way.

N770, N800, N810 are both low-end and high-end products.
High-end for Linux/Debian fans and low-end to Windows Mobile based PDAs or Mac based iPod touch, iPhone by Apple and other tablets by Samsung and others fans.

Nxxxs are still not cell phones. But paying $200 for my Motorola A1000
I got touch screen, gps, gsm and semi-PDA.

So please don't foul me again saying N770 is not N-Series, shouldn't be supported anymore and I can't install packages from installs.

Just watch what you say and stop fouling thousands of happy users of N770.

Still awaiting official definition of N-Series products.

Darius

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Darius, have you read that fpp and I have said in this thread about install files? Please, read it.

If these apps haven't install files is because it isn't in a repository. Nothing more. Nokia haven't delete nothing in downloads at maemo.org. But I think that it could be a virus. Who know.