Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I really do like my N810 and enjoy trying to make it a bit more useful and slicker looking by various applications/mods.

Below are just some of mine that might be a bit harder to find unless you know what you are looking for (maybe they are not in Extras, not that well known, etc, etc). If you got others please do post

1) Autoscan
This is in Extras and the only reason for bringing it up here is because penetration/network testing might not be the first thing you think of when using your OS2008 device (N8x0).

Autoscan is a VERY easy to use network scanner that with a few clicks will tell you exactly who is on the same network that you are connected to. It can be used simply for 'fun' at your local coffee shop..or for more serious investigations should you for any reason have an unsecured (don't!) network at home.

(There are a number of other tools you can use as well nmap, telnet, etc, etc - but for the casual user this is relatively easy and quick way to get into pentesting using your NIT.

2) DragLock
One of the most frustrating things on the OS2008 was the lack of being able to keep the widgets in place by locking them down.
This simple little app fixes that and gives you a 'lock' and 'unlock' option for your desktop widgets.

Easy instructions on how to install DragLock here

Note: There is a bug-fix/patch for this, I believe, in a future SSU update but for now this is still the solution for me.

3) HeadPhoned
Ever been listening to music/podcasts and had your headphone pulled out of the device causing you to accidentally share what you are listening to with others?
This simple app pauses the media player(s) when that happens.
Once again, brilliant.
Link here.

4) openNTPD
Is your clock in your NIT off?
Install openNTPD, forget it - and your clock will always be accurate.
Link here

5) SlideLock
So simple, yet so brilliant.
This is a small patch/app you install that will lock your N810 screen when you close the keyboard.
Note that the screen does, by default, lock if you have not pressed any key since you opened the keyboard - this patch locks the screen even if you have used the keyboard. Works flawlessly.
Link here

6) Telescope
Application switching never looked so slick before on OS2008.
This wonder of programming is fast, looks good and still being updated with more features. Check it out and I bet you won't be disappointed.

It's in Extras (or Extras-Devel?) but link to discussion thread with photos and videos is here.

7) YellowNotes
Maybe the most useful app on my N810.
A stack of post-its on my desktop.
Why this was never promoted to Extras I will never know.
Priceless app.

Link to the thread with downloads.

8) GFrotz
Play your old (and new) text adventures on your NIT.
Works flawlessly!

Link to Gfrotz (and Frotz) downloads here.

----

That's it
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Couple more for you....

1. Facebook chat is now supported in the built in chat client http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...=facebook+chat. I've only used it a handful of times, but it works as well as any other chat in the IM app. Screenshot of the accounts dialog is below...

2. Now playing Notification utility. This displays a small banner with the artist and track title whenever the media player starts playing a new track. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...aying+notifier
This is a really useful little utility, useful for having media player running in the background. Screenshot to follow..
Attached Images

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Last edited by gazza_d; 2010-05-07 at 21:54. Reason: Fixed the embedded URLs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
2. Now playing Notification utility. This displays a small banner with the artist and track title whenever the media player starts playing a new track.
This one I had no idea about - where do I get it from and how does it work (only with the standard media player?)?.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nvm, found it in the App Manager.

But, got an error when installing it...but it still installed....
Tried playing a song through media player but nothing shows up and there doesn't seem to be an applet tied to it.

EDIT II: Found the thread where this was discussed and developed: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45931
Interesting read. Thanks for pointing this one out as I missed it. Will see if it works for me
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-07 at 21:28.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
The best one I have that barely got so much as a dim flicker of recognition from anyone, except for maybe like two other people, is Kchmviewer.

Awesome reader, and once a whole chapter loads, it's faster than the Tear web browser when scrolling.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
The best one I have that barely got so much as a dim flicker of recognition from anyone, except for maybe like two other people, is Kchmviewer.
Thanks, another one I never heard of...might have to try that out as I got one or two 20-30meg PDF files that I gave up on reading on the tablet due to it being frikkn slow.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I seriously was able to read chapters that were in the 700s without any slowdown whatsoever.

This app is killer!

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I seriously was able to read chapters that were in the 700s without any slowdown whatsoever.

This app is killer!
But...wait..is it just for chm files? (duh...for me!)

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Another trick - download images in HTML emails when using the built in client (modest).

1. Install Gconf Editor from the extras repository.
2. start Gconf Editor
3. Drill down the tree in the left hand pane to Apps, Modest
4. In the right pane find "Fetch External Images" and place a tick in the checkbox
5. Exit Gconf Editor.

You may need to restart your tablet, but it's been absolutely age since I made this change.

Also, if your email ever stops picking up new mail and notifying, then try this command in xterm
Code:
kill - 9 $(pidof modest)

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Last edited by gazza_d; 2010-05-07 at 22:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
#9 (from me) will have to go to TweetGo.net
Not an app but a WebApp - but such a good Twitter client that it allowed me to give up completely on twitter apps installed on my tablet.
Attached Images

My #10 is another WebApp that removes the need for an actual app for me: Titantv.com

Create a free account there and tie the URL to an icon in your Personal Launcher and you are always one click away from your personal TVGuide with a format that works very well on the NIT.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:

Tags
diablo, os2008