Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
If there isn't any proof that this issue has been fixed, (or that the repair is permanent), why give people false hope that they are immune from waking up their tablet to instant brickdom?
It's only my opinion, based on what I've seen posted in the past 2 years. It may well be inaccurate - I've never suggested it is the truth (hence the use of words such as "should have" and "hopefully"). I've asked for confirmation from Nokia about the early/middle/late batches, but received no response.

I'm having to guess at this based on limited information, similar to how you are guessing when you assume the cheap 770s sold via Woot, Buy etc. were late production units - who is to say they weren't purchased from a warehouse at a knock down price, and had been sitting in the warehouse for the past 12+ months?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Pittsburgh, PA
I got a 770 from woot, and it came out of the box with the latest firmware installed. Which, to me, indicates that it hadn't been sitting in a warehouse for a year. Got a WSOD last week, after about 2 months of use.

Fair enough - that suggests it was made during or after January 2007, which debunks the early/mid/late theory!

Is it possible to use 770 after wsod for anything else as it seems unusable at all ;
any idea ;

If you had installed SSH on it, you can still use it remotely... as a server for example (well, the 770 can easily be used in USB Host Mode so you can use it to custom build a WiFi-enabled NAS system ... but it depends on how much free time you have on your hands).

It could be used as an embedded development system or as an embedded web server .
However the lcd does not work at all .Thus how we can install a "light" httpd without seeing at all ?
I tried a fast search about usb to vga converter.A few converters are around but for windows platform only.

My trusty old 770 just had it's second WSOD (the first time I had it warranty repaired - they replaced the screen... apparently not the WSOD cause)...

Now I've been checking out those cheap N800 prices, 260€ seems ok, but I wonder what the WSOD situation is on those nowadays? Do they have the WSOD fault?

No, they do not.

N800's don't have WSOD, they just don't power up
Fortunately it's not permanent, but it just shows how cr*p Nokia are.

Last edited by Northerner; 2007-12-29 at 14:35.

Did buy a N770 in December 2007. Did work fine 8 days. Got a WSOD last week.
Now in the Nokia repair pipeline...
I read in this forum that WSOD could happen again. Is that true?
------ after 20 days---------
my N770 is repaired and working. warranty: yes. Found my data on it so same OS.
screen hardware changed?
I will not shut down the system...

Last edited by n770-u1; 2008-01-21 at 16:45.