Just checked, it was Michael Jerz at the My-Symbian blog who said it was the same as the i8910, since he actually has the N900 to hand seems like a reasonably trust-worthy source.

Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
The guy at My-Symbian says the Navilink 6.0 chip supports 802.11 b/g/n. The N900 does not support that officially. If I remember correctly most Nokia phones come with a Navilink 5.0 chip.
Wait it does not support that officially as it can't do 802.11 b/g/n at all? Or that it can with hackery?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Wait it does not support that officially as it can't do 802.11 b/g/n at all? Or that it can with hackery?
From my understanding if the N900 has the Navilink 6.0 chip then it should support 802.11 b/g/n.

The official spec is 802.11 b/g.

How much more power does 802.11 n consume compared to 802.11 b/g ? Is that even an issue ?

Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
The guy at My-Symbian says the Navilink 6.0 chip supports 802.11 b/g/n.
But the TI link in the first post doesn't. Maybe "supports" in the sense of
optimized to ensure seamless coexistence between GPS, Bluetooth, FM, WLAN and cellular functions.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Ah, shame that it wouldn't support n speeds. Would be nice to have some future-proofing. Though I guess even with n speeds there would still be bottlenecks somewhere.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That would seem sensible, but the beta kernel indicates a SI4713 chip for FM TX, and a BCM2048 for FM RX. The BCM2048 is BT 2.0+EDR, but the N900 specs say 2.1. Confusing much? I suppose it's possible they switched at the last minute, and this would also explain why FM RX is not supported.
There are at least 2 chips listed in the kernel for most functionality (camera, WiFi, FM, etc.). Either the chips they've been using on the prototypes have been changing or they're working on multiple devices (or both).

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Oh well, maybe one of these days we'll finally see some dmesg output...
We'll probably have something out of the Summit.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
We'll probably have something out of the Summit.
Yes please I am waiting for that to complete the Wikipedia article.

That would seem sensible, but the beta kernel indicates a SI4713 chip for FM TX, and a BCM2048 for FM RX. The BCM2048 is BT 2.0+EDR, but the N900 specs say 2.1. Confusing much? I suppose it's possible they switched at the last minute, and this would also explain why FM RX is not supported.
FM RX is supported, but not officially....

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The Bluetooth chip is a BCM2048, and it supports FM RX. The kernel source clearly says so.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Are there details on what the sample rate is and if it can be changed for more precision?

Tags
gps, n900, navilink 6.0