Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Bashing the N900 media player app for not having an EQ is like bashing a Honda Civic for not having Lambo doors.
Depends on the audio circuit on the N900 and how it is presenting the frequency spectrum in correlation to gain. How is having an EQ function superfluous? That statement assumes every track is perfect to a user's liking.

MP3gain could compensate if the audio output dB is weak (though not by much until the audio is saturated).

Simple question is does the chipset support EQ so a media app can use it?

5 band EQs are common on most MP3 players. At a minimum, there is treble, bass and boost. Surely the N900 chipset has the function.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-18 at 16:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post

Actually, it's more like bashing a Honda Civic without doors for not having any doors... every MP3 player I've ever owned had at least a simple 5-band graphic EQ.
You must buy nothing but expensive or top of the line mp3 players then.

The average user of an integrated device like this isn't going to be expecting - or ever even using - an EQ to begin with. Feel free to try to create your own if you wish.

No, I don't know if anything would allow it. I think you might be best looking into gstreamer. I believe there might be a plugin for it that will allow EQ. You'd still have to at least build a GUI for it though.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-18 at 16:29.

Not expensive or top-of-the-line - just not crap.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Bashing the N900 media player app for not having an EQ is like bashing a Honda Civic for not having Lambo doors.
If your music needs an EQ to be listenable, it's not worth listening to anyway.
</ELITISM>

Replay Gain would have been cool, though. I wonder if that could be hacked in through the MFAW(sp?) backend.

Originally Posted by range View Post
If your music needs an EQ to be listenable, it's not worth listening to anyway.
</ELITISM>
True, but I don't always get to pick what I listen to - if they're songs I have to listen to in order to learn them for my coverband, I'll often use EQ and VST plugins in Winamp in order to make them more tolerable

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Anyone interested in creating their own EQ would probably want to start from this: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/dat...equalizer.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Not expensive or top-of-the-line - just not crap.

Heck, my $80 Dingoo game system has a hardware based 10 band EQ and that is about fourth on its media priorities.

My son's $60 no name brand has a 5 band. So does my Zen, Archos 5, Gmini 402, and Tmo Dash.

Seems common for even cheap devices.

Anyone interested in creating their own EQ would probably want to start from this: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/dat...equalizer.html

Does the N900's chipset support hardware EQ? Big and bad difference both in quality and system resources if software based. Most chipsets since the integration of MP3 decoding also have hardware EQ.

I do not see it on the 3430 specs. Am I missing it?

Update: Yes, the 3430 has hardware EQ. Just need a media app to use it.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-18 at 16:45.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Does the N900's chipset support hardware EQ? Big and bad difference both in quality and system resources if software based. Most chipsets since the integration of MP3 decoding also have hardware EQ.

I do not see it on the 3430 specs. Am I missing it?

Update: Yes, the 3430 has hardware EQ. Just need a media app to use it.
Do you have any more info about that? What type of EQ? Only applicable to certain audio formats, or all?

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado

The average user of an integrated device like this isn't going to be expecting - or ever even using - an EQ to begin with. Feel free to try to create your own if you wish.

No, I don't know if anything would allow it. I think you might be best looking into gstreamer. I believe there might be a plugin for it that will allow EQ. You'd still have to at least build a GUI for it though.
The crappy S60 music player has EQ functions, and can save several presets. I use it for different audio output devices. My BT headphones sound nothing like my BT speaker or the car stereo adapter, so it makes it possible to tune playback a little to my ear.

And I don't think any of the mp3 player's EQs work on any hardware. The way mp3 compression works is to split the signal into different bands and perform compression on individual bands. This makes EQ somewhat easy to implement, as I understand it (but I'm not a programmer, so what do I know about easy?).

Last edited by Eric G; 2009-10-18 at 17:29.

Tags
feature request, pre brainstorm