Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
I agree with endsormeans, I'm going to struggle to get this past the 'chancellor of the exchequer' (the wife).
Having serious doubts.

From a daily N900 user.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
endsormeans, youre calculating last year's euro estimate converted to USD at today's rates, and comparing today's estimate also converted to USD at today's rates.

when i estimated my cost at the time that i paid 100euros, the euro was worth 1.4 dollars. now, its 1.1 dollars.

long story short, i expected to pay 980$USD, and now its $1089$USD.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
im not a cambist, and i dont know if my math/economics is correct now or was correct then, but i DO know that ive been expecting to pay roughly 1000$USD all along, and now its 1100$USD.

i was also under the impression, before this, that the estimate of 700 EUR was for the board, not for the complete device. maybe i misunderstood at the time, but thats what i always thought it was.

with the USD=>EUR exchange rate having changed drastically upward {0.7 => 0.9}, i am less affected by the increase, which makes sense since the exchange rate change is the primary source of the problem.

unfortunately, CAD=>EUR did not change anywhere near as much, and in fact, CAD=>USD is currently 1.2, up from 1.1 from last year.

im sorry to say, endsormeans, that your loss is greater, and i deeply respect that youre continuing to support the project.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I expected to pay 700 €. Now it's going to be 990€. That's 40% more. I fear the project is drifting out of my financial range...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
you are correct wolke ...my error in the initial figure...last years valuation at todays rates...
Even still...both the euro and the cdn dollar have stayed pretty much in sync 'tween the euro-slide and the looney-slide...from this time last year until now...all that aside...
I like you was expecting something similar ...
mind I anticipated possibly $1100..$1200..$1300 even...
and didn't bat an eye at that...not a problem...

...but $1725? and that's only with tax?...
no I wasn't expecting that.

To put it in perspective...
the priciest perspective there is...
for that revised estimate ...
In my country...
with only tax applied ...
before necessary shipping...
before necessary handling...
before necessary insurances ...(and damn straight I'd want them)
before duty...
before further possible increased estimates...

would get me a troy ounce of gold....

and I'd still have at least $270 dollars in my pocket.

a troy ounce.
of gold.
is cheaper.

and the final price and additional fees isn't finished...it isn't tabulated yet.

Who wants to start a betting pool that the final grand total hits 2 grand cdn?

I will say this...there are precious precious precious few Canadians...maemoan or otherwise ...who will shuck out this sum....for any handheld device...ever..for allll eternity..
Canadians as a people have more sense.

I will say now exactly what anyone else in my country will say when they hear about my device...they'll say..."why didn't you just get 4 iphone 6 pluses? or 5 galaxy s6 edges on two year contracts?"
they'll say "Is that device coated in a troy ounce of gold?"

The only thing comparable in price at $2000 here is the (Edsel that is going to bury ...) Blackberry....the Blackberry Porsche.

I would not be surprised if I was the only one in my country to still want a Neo900 after this readjusted estimate.
I am most certainly not pleased.
I do know I am bordering on being very upset..
I still believe in the project..
I still support it..
but I am bloody-well hanging by a very very short thread

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-05-05 at 08:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
I feel a bit like endsormeans,
When I read the project is made in Europe, I thank something like "Nice ! It will be expensive, but the estimates will not depend too much on change rates".
Thought most of the components were secured before the euro falls, too.

I "reasonably" anticipated to pay between 700€ for a board and 850€ for a full device. I "feared" I would have to pay something like 1000€ for a full device.
Actually, for me (and many European people) it's 1188€ (990+20%VAT) or 1368€ (990+150+20%VAT).
The increase is really significant : about 500€ more than expected, and 350€ more than pessimistically estimated.

What makes me affraid is the "Material per unit (NeoN kit) 470 EUR ±100 EUR".
It lets me think the increase isn't finished yet
I'm used to pay 10-20€ for getting things shipped from Germany but even in this case, it's 400€ more than anticipated (more than +50%).
And it could be even more if the NeoN kit is underestimated.

I'm sad because I'm sure you, guys do everything you can to reduce the costs, and I really would like to support more this project, but 400€ isn't something I can spend without consequences.
And I wonder how many people have donated and will finally not buy anything...

Last edited by Bearserker; 2015-05-05 at 20:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bearserker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
i was also under the impression, before this, that the estimate of 700 EUR was for the board, not for the complete device. maybe i misunderstood at the time, but thats what i always thought it was.
Interesting. I, on the other hand, was under the impression that the 700€ quote was for the complete device. The price for the board was supposed to be about 150€ less. I am almost sure it was mentioned here somewhere, along the Q4/2014 ETA.

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I expected to pay 700 €. Now it's going to be 990€. That's 40% more. I fear the project is drifting out of my financial range...
Amen!

I was a vivid supporter of this project. I even brought a handful of other supporters on board. All despite the series of disaters: the "disagreements" within the team, still not fully explained... spec changes... perpetual delays... demands for more funds... I used to welcome every new post in this thread with excitement, but my excitement has gradually been eroded by a death of a thousand cuts. I recently realized that my heart sinks every time I see this thread popping up in Active Topics. What bad news is going to be this time?

It is time to face the truth that I subconsciously knew was coming but did not want to admit. The chances I might get anything in return for my investemnt are diminishing every day. I may as well consider it written off.

I am sorry. This recent price hike was the last straw.
I am sorry. I no longer have any expectations from this project. If anything comes out of it, I will consider it an unexpected bonus.
I am sorry. I can no longer support this project. I would not feel comfortable to help others to spend money on it.
I am sorry

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
The problem is that I indeed calculated wrong, when I said it will be 40% increased costs. When the project started I wanted to buy a complete device, because I'm not so keen on tinkering on my old N900. Especially because it's screen look quite horrible nowadays and I'm not so skilled in doing things like that.

After reading Bearseakers post, I must now recognize that 990 € is just for the board, so it's even more expensive then i thought on the first view.

Sorry to say that, but I think my already paid 150 € have become a donation and can't be longer seen as a prepayment.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Not really sure about the price increase yet. The numbers make perfect sense iff everything was affected by the course changes (R&D, Loan interest?).

What I'm really disappointed in is the lack of transparency (again!) that is shown by the way we got this info.
It took a random eagle-eyed community member to find this piece of info because apparently there is neither an easily accessible link to it on neo900.org, nor an official hint in this thread.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
What I'm really disappointed in is the lack of transparency (again!) that is shown by the way we got this info.
It took a random eagle-eyed community member to find this piece of info because apparently there is neither an easily accessible link to it on neo900.org, nor an official hint in this thread.
I guess that info was updated just a few hours ago, so I'd rather call it "site under construction".

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!