Poll: Ultimate screen size?
Poll Options
Ultimate screen size?

What do you guys think about Aspect Ratios?

For a modern device we can have anything from:
1:1 (1.0) "Square"
4:3 (1.333) "TV"
3:2 (1.5)
8:5 (1.6)
13:8 (1.62) "Golden Ratio"
16:9 (1.78) "Movies"
2:1 (2.0) "Rectangle"
21:9 (2.33) "Ultra wide movies"

I used to be told that 16:9 was the Golden Ratio and mimics the human eye's aspect ratio.
I've only recently found out it was a economic move by Hollywood, and it was meant to cause fragmentation between Movies and TV's.... due to the threat of Home Entertainment on the Hollywood business.

And only found out that the human eye's field of view is actually 4:3. But we have spherical eye's, and thus we have a more oval-shaped field of views. So its like a (N9 icon) squircle 4:3 with left-right oval tapering off.

Due to this peripheral vision, our eyesight is probably more closer to the Golden Ratio or 16:9 (or even Ultra-wide ratio if the display cups around your head)... rather than 4:3. One thing I was sort of contemplating was the 3:2 ratio. It seems like an okay compromise for tablets (sort of squarish) and for phones (iPhone 4S). The letter-boxing for 4:3 or 16:9 videos aren't too bad. And it seems easy to adjust UI between portrait and landscape modes, since its one-part to one-half parts.

What do you think?
If you were to design a phone AND tablet, would they have the same aspect ratio?
If not what would they be?
And if both the phone and tablet HAD to have the same aspect ratio, what would you go with?

...maybe Dave should start a new thread for this particular question/dilemma___

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
One-to-one or five-to-three... Whatever. Circle or sphere, I am looking for compactness and reliability.

Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Agree with Wikiwide. The aspect ratio does not play such a big role in a mobile phone as it does on a TV. How it fits in hand/pocket or how easy it is to operate single-handed is far more important. Of course, apps have to be designed for a given aspect ratio too.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
to me 4 and 4.5 is too small. The basic reason for that is becouse the text is too small. I want to be able to open webpage and read any text while having the phone/hand resting in my lap(without zooming). its so funny watching poeple with phones with smaller screens than 5.5 having their phone 20 -30 cm fom the head to be able to read some times even less

you dhould be able to easily read active topics here att tmo (from 50 cm distance)without zooming. then the screensize is perfect and you can execute tasks faster because you dont have to zoom all the time.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-04 at 09:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
I care more about battery size than screen size. The bigger the battery (capacity) the better

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, openmoko