Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I see that Jukka Eklund from Nokia has announced a "MeeGo 1.2 Developer Edition for N900". This is an announcement of a project, not yet something downloadable for end users. See the meego-dev mailing list post and the wiki page linked off it.

This seems to be somewhat separate to the existing MeeGo N900 hardware adaptation effort led by stskeeps (wiki page), although presumably and hopefully the two teams will liaise closely. I don't know how many people within Nokia are working on this new Developer Edition - does anyone know?

The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
It says team forming in Nokia

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
I guess this would be one of the 50%-bonus-to-not-jump-ship teams, then.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
I am damn confused now. So, are they indirectly saying that it is going to take another few months more for an usable N900 (with MeeGo)? And that too with that basic functionality (saw the feature list in the wiki page)? Then, what was happening in the last 1 year w.r.t. MeeGo on N900? So, is this how things work at big organisations? Great!

The biggest confusion for me has been re-usability part with software. What exactly was re-used and what is taking time? First, are these projects run with good intention at all?

I bet my life, release the complete damn code of maemo to the community and then the community will deliver an ULTIMATE OS (experience) out of it in just 2-3 months time frame.

Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

I was really planning to flash my N900 with MeeGo builds this week to verify few bugs that I have raised before and also to see if I can find any new bugs. I am not sure where I stand now!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
I think there will be 2 versions of Meego on N900...one is the hardware adaption one MeeGo N900 hardware adaptation effort led by stskeep, which is the one being worked on for the past 1 year!...and one will be this, MeeGo 1.2 Developer Edition for N900.a basic OS..for hackers so that they can prepare themselves for the new meego based device coming out later in the year!.. me is right?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The problem is the MeeGo team seem to be re-inventing some of the Linux components (e.g. NetworkManager) it could be a while before something actually usable will be released.

The project started last year and just now an announcement is made?

Confusing.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
So are there 2 separate teams working on 2 versions of MeeGo for the N900?

This doesn't make sense.

??????????

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
So are there 2 separate teams working on 2 versions of MeeGo for the N900?

This doesn't make sense.

??????????
From the mailing list post

This work is naturally based on the great work done already by N900 adaptation team lead by Harri and Carsten.
I assume this is the future of the n900 adaptation team and that Stskeeps (Carsten) will work with them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
'My' team works on hardware adaptation. This usually gets merged with MeeGo Core and Handset, (platform). DE contributes resources to MeeGo Core and Handset and makes a 'product' (please note the quotes) based on MeeGo platform plus handset ux plus improvements plus 'my' teams hardware adaptation. That's how it is put together

The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I see that Jukka Eklund from Nokia has announced a "MeeGo 1.2 Developer Edition for N900"
All I can think of right now is WHY? Why now? This is great, amazingly great, but why?

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada