Active Topics

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
My N9 is Made in Finland.
Sent to me directly from Nokia.

It is now 6 months old and has started peeling on the USB port.

Note: I have never used a case.
So if all peeling n9's are fake, how is that explained?

Unlike the rest of the phone, the USB port cover is made of metal.

Mine is made from plastic, like the rest of the body.

Put a magnet on it, you'll see.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Well, polycarbonate don't peel. There's no other way to put it. It may crack, but it will never peel. But - acetone could maybe give the appearance of peeling. Acetone will soften the PC, liquefy it even. Then the softened material can be scratched off by your nails or by any other sharpish instrument. Even so you would need a fair amount of acetone, and acetone on your hands evaporates within seconds. Besides, it the LED is also PC, and most likely the camera lens, why aren't they affected?

Naah, your devices are fake, made of cheap plastic. Just accept it. It would be nice though to see statistics on peeling incidents vs land of manufacturing, or peeling incidents vs reseller.
Take a knife and scrape the edge of your sim cover. That'd be proof. Of course, even if you did do it (but you won't because you're afraid of being proved wrong), you come up with some bull **** reason that yours is real but ours are fake.

If it's fake why is the screen still an 854 x 480 AMOLED? Why are the cameras the same? Why is there the same amount of storage? Same
USB door? Same OS? Your argument is fallible.

Quit trolling and if you have nothing to add to the conversation besides "your devices are fake", then piss off.

Last edited by legoman666; 2012-03-06 at 02:55.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I doubt the people that are saying it's "fake"... but it's just rather odd. But the OP did say something about a degreaser. Starting to think it's chemical personally... which I could be very wrong.

Still odd. I'm looking at my N9 more and more when I pull it out of my pocket - I use a leather sleeve normally - just to see if that's happening to mine as well though.

More pictures for the naysayers. It's not turning gray, some paint layer is peeling off.

View them in full size.

Had the same issue with mine except it was the edge near the earphone jafk. It got scratched and low and behold a lighter shade of gray. Shocked me because I expected the poly to be the same all the way through. Anyways I lightly sanded and under that chip was the black again. Weird. Since then I swapped to Cyan and also bought an extra black housing incase I wanted to go back.

Also a quick word about the rubber case. I absolutely loved it but worried as with all rubber cases about particles of stuff that creep in causing scratches and sure enough up by the face of the phone near the ear piece I ended up with a few pits. Anyways no case since swapping housings. Its been weeks naked with Cyan and it still looks factory fresh.

What I have observed on mine was that it is chipping, I just chipped an area where the USB bubble button is. It is not very visible but it is there if you look at it closely.

There is also one at the right corner where the FFC is. As I have said before I dropped that area and now its has that gray tint to it. I was surprised to see that when it happened.

My guess is that when you bang it on a hard surface it creates that "grayish" tint to it.

My advice to all of you that is having this "gray tint" is not scratch it or peel it off as it will crumble and you will be left with an ugly gape or chipped on those gray areas.

Also use that damn cover it helps

Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
smooth Polycarbonate is not matte, if you want matte and smooth surface you need to add a thin layer of finish to create the matte look. So the Black has a thin layer of matte finish.

The cyan and magenta models are not matte so they need no added finish
So do the white N9s have a coating or added finish? From pics that I've seen it looks like the only one with a glossy finish.