Dear all,

As far as I can see, there currently are 2 initiatives to run a Java application on the N770, namely:

1. JaLiMo (http://www.jalimo.org)
2. JamVM + classpath (internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2896&page=2#13)

I tested the 2nd possibility. At the first sight, everything seemed to work okay. However, my application requires a fancy GUI, so I need to use Swing. There is only one problem with that: the virtual keyboard of the N770 does not automaticly pop up when clicking on a JTextField. If you use the AWT TextField component however, the keyboard pops up, but the backspace key is not supported

My questions to you:
- What is the best Java VM implementation to use at this moment on the N770 (maybe my own list is not complete)?
- Does anybody have any experience on using Swing with this 'best' implementation? Does the virtual keyboard work on a textfield for example?

More about Java, but worth a try:
- Does anybody have a solution to the problem with the virtual keyboard as I mentioned?

Thanks!

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Thomas2 View Post
Dear all,

As far as I can see, there currently are 2 initiatives to run a Java application on the N770, namely:
t: the virtual keyboard of the N770 does not automaticly pop up when clicking on a JTextField. If you use the AWT TextField component however, the keyboard pops up, but the backspace key is not supported

- Does anybody have a solution to the problem with the virtual keyboard as I mentioned?

Thanks!
I wish i understood why nokia decided to make their virtual keyboard input method work at the gtk/hildon level, and not generate X11 keyboard events. Obviously they wanted to recognize stylus taps into text-input areas and pop-up the keyboard, but

-- for more universal compatibility, i envison pressing, for example, the +/- buttons in quick sequence, which would bring up a virtual keyboard that would generate real X keyboard events. This would allow for inputting text into non-hildonised apps, like the java you mentioned, as well as the SDL apps i'm working on.

offtopic i guess

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-29 at 21:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post: