Notices

I'm on a metered broadband connection with different pools for peak and off-peak usage. Out of respect for my housemates, I try to download during the off-peak hours (2am to 8am).

Is there a way to set gpodder to only pull downloads during a specific window of time?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I'm on a metered broadband connection with different pools for peak and off-peak usage. Out of respect for my housemates, I try to download during the off-peak hours (2am to 8am).

Is there a way to set gpodder to only pull downloads during a specific window of time?
Not directly, but you can do that: Set it to never download new episodes when new episodes are found, then make sure that you only mark these episodes as new that you really want to download.

Then (with gPodder not running) you can use cron or some other scheduler to start the command line version of gPodder (called 'gpo' in three-letter command tradition) in download mode using "gpo download". If you want to update the feeds in addition to downloading (but that will download _any_ episode that is found as new during the update) use "gpo update" followed by a "gpo download".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
gpo does not seem to have a delete command.

It would be useful to have available to include in a shell script, such as one that connects to a network, has gpodder delete episodes older than (x) days, then download new episodes.

Also, I wonder if instead of specifying deletion by how many days old any may be, if during subscription for a particular podcast it could be set for how many days to typically keep before deletion (or marked for deletion). Some podcasts of short time-relevance such as newscasts don't need to be kept more than a day or so; some like long weekly shows would be nice to keep for 6 days or so until you have a chance to listen.

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
gpo does not seem to have a delete command.
Good idea - please file a feature request for this at http://bugs.gpodder.org - this would be helpful. Thanks!

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Also, I wonder if instead of specifying deletion by how many days old any may be, if during subscription for a particular podcast it could be set for how many days to typically keep before deletion (or marked for deletion). Some podcasts of short time-relevance such as newscasts don't need to be kept more than a day or so; some like long weekly shows would be nice to keep for 6 days or so until you have a chance to listen.
This is already possible (in the config file) for all podcasts, but not for a specific one unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Here is a possible bug - using CSSU and gPodder 2.20 (although it could exist on previous versions as well, I don't know)

When I search for a new episode of a podcast and gpodder finds new episodes, I get at the bottom of the screen the two options "Mark as old" and "Download" greyed out, while in between them the text "Nothing selected" is in white on black, but partially covers the "Mark as old" text.

The same happens if I then select one or more new episodes. The "1 episode" text covers the "Mark as old". Perhaps it is better to get rid of "1 episode", and just show the overall download size?

Curiously, if I put the phone in landscape and then go back to portrait, all text "1 episode, size: 2.92 Mb" disappears.

Does anyone else experience this? I couldn't find it in bug search...

Thanks

Originally Posted by maemomatic View Post
Curiously, if I put the phone in landscape and then go back to portrait, all text "1 episode, size: 2.92 Mb" disappears.
Yes, this is actually a cosmetic bug. The label gets hidden/shown when the orientation changes, but it only changes when you rotate the device. That's not a problem if the window starts out at landscape, but is a problem when it starts out in portrait.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I've had a little problem with gpodder for a few weeks, in both versions 2.18 and 2.20 on Maemo 5. When checking for new episodes, if it doesn't find any, it no longer pops up the yellow banner that said something like "No new episodes, please check later". It's not a big problem, but it is a little disconcerting as you're left not quite sure if it's working or not. Any ideas?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I couple of other things:

I notice that, while doing "Check for new episodes", youtube subscriptions take a lot longer (about 10-11 seconds each) than other RSS subscriptions (less than a second each), on a fast Wi-Fi network. Is that just inherent to youtube? I mean, is the delay at their end, or is there anything that can be done in the gpodder code to speed this up?

While noticing the above problem, I also notice that the text on the progress bar says "Updated XXXX on youtube" when I think it should say "Updating" instead. That is, it seems to say that it has "updated" a particular subscription when in fact it's only just started to check it. Of course, this wouldn't be very visible as a problem if it wasn't for the delay mentioned above which gives me a long time to stare at the progress bar!

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I notice that, while doing "Check for new episodes", youtube subscriptions take a lot longer (about 10-11 seconds each) than other RSS subscriptions (less than a second each), on a fast Wi-Fi network. Is that just inherent to youtube? I mean, is the delay at their end, or is there anything that can be done in the gpodder code to speed this up?
YouTube feeds are the same as normal RSS feeds, so we don't do any different processing there - could be a YouTube problem. However, when starting a download (but not during feed update time), gPodder gets the web page of the video first in order to determine (via regex-based scraping) the download URL of the video file (the RSS feeds of YouTube only contain links to the YouTube website, not the video files).

Now that Open Media Player (OMP) is in Extras-Devel, would it be possible for OMP to be an option in Settings|Player Applications ?

Or should I wait for it to be fully incorporated into CSSU?

Thanks

Last edited by br1zer; 2011-11-05 at 17:23.

Tags
fremantle, gpodder, maemo 5, not android, podcast, testing