Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Washington, DC
Yesterday was 3g test day I wanted to know how the phone was going to behave on 3g/edge mixed mode. The usage profile was quite heavy I must say. And surprisingly the battery help a good 13 hours! Compared to 6 hours of 2 days ago, this is a good achievement.

As usual I logged the battery and system load. Here is the data.

Charge:

Percentage:

System Load:

Also I'm attaching the raw log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt battery.txt (3.9 KB, 125 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to econan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
After PR1.1 install my battery was fine, i.e. no problem going through the night with plenty of charge remaining... However this past week I noticed things go down hill rapidly and have been having to give the device a top up charge in the morning just to make it to work with some juice...

The only real difference this past week had been the addition of the conversations widget to one of my desktops... So yesterday after reading through the latest postings on this thread I uninstalled firefox, the mozilla runtime and I removed the conversations widget from my desktop...

My N900 was plugged into my computer last night via USB and the battery indicator was showing full (green charge light), this morning I am happy to say that it is still showing full! Thats with it being on 3G and using data off on and throughout the night as it updates Mfe and email...

I cannot confirm if it was firefox or the conversations widget but firefox was installed prior to PR1.1, the only change recently was the conversations widget and it was around this time that I noticed a massive drop off in battery life. I removed both just to be sure however!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
My prototype on PR1.1 lasted 4 hours last night with just instant messengers and twitter integrated into contacts with almost zero use.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
The battery draining bug.
I left my device on charge every night and charge from near empty to full battery, which say 97%.

Every morning I disconnected it at 8:10am. During that period the phone is on an idle state. Whereas I was in the bathroom getting ready for work.

10 minutes later I check the battery again (every day) as a routine. And I found that during that idle period between the full charged (97%) and the 10 minutes idle, my battery dropped from 97% to 88% while doing nothing.

This occurred everyday. 9% of precious battery life gone missing in just 10 minutes.

The drainage did not stopped there. It's continueing until it reached 84% threshold. Then it slowing down alittle bit. But after this period, the power management is seem to kicking in and working better and when the battery dropped to 55% this is when NOKIA maemo5 power management really worked.

I tested this for a week and found the exact result from full charged.

If anyone else experiencing this issues please speak up so we can report it as a bug.

FYI: i reboot my phone every night before i charge it up to do a clean test.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-01-26 at 22:08.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
The battery draining bug.
I left my device on charge every night and charge from near empty to full battery, which say 97%.

Every morning I disconnected it at 8:10am. During that period the phone is on an idle state. Whereas I was in the bathroom getting ready for work.

10 minutes later I check the battery again (every day) as a routine. And I found that during that idle period between the full charged (97%) and the 10 minutes idle, my battery dropped from 97% to 88% while doing nothing.

This occurred everyday. 9% of precious battery life gine missing in just 10 minutes.

The drainage did not stopped there. It's continueing until it reached 84% threshold. Then it slowing down alittle bit. But after this period, the power management is seem to kicking in and working better and when the battery dropped to 55% this is when NOKIA maemo5 power management really worked.

I tested this for a week and found the exact result from full charged.

If anyone else experiencing this issues please speak up so we can report it as a bug.

FYI: i reboot my phone every night before i charge it up to do a clean test.
Yep I can confirm this one - mine goes from 96 - 87 in the first 30 mins of phone being on. If someone would just upload goddamn powertop I might be able to track down the drain
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post

This occurred everyday. 9% of precious battery life gone missing in just 10 minutes.
[/B]
I have noticed this too, but I think the answer is very simple:

Once the battery is fully charged it switches to battery even while plugged in. During the time its on battery, it uses 5 to 10% so you only "think" its fully charged.

Today I purposely used the phone at 8am to drain a little. Plugged back in at 9am to "top up" and took off charger 30 mins later.

I did not notice the initial "reported" drain. Note this is completely unrelated to the original "huge drain" issue which happened in the middle of the day.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I have noticed this too, but I think the answer is very simple:

Once the battery is fully charged it switches to battery even while plugged in. During the time its on battery, it uses 5 to 10% so you only "think" its fully charged.

Today I purposely used the phone at 8am to drain a little. Plugged back in at 9am to "top up" and took off charger 30 mins later.

I did not notice the initial "reported" drain. Note this is completely unrelated to the original "huge drain" issue which happened in the middle of the day.
Not really. I charged it again to full and when it say battery is full, then i disconnected it again to test it out and happening like what i describe above. You have to run the commandline to see how much the battery is available.

Even if you recharging it until it fill up again, it would end up draining again. The drainage didn't stop there though, it continue until it reached 50% mark. This is not normal. The more power it has is the more it will use. At 30% i left my phone connected on wifi for 2hours and yet battery still say 30%. This is what it should be like from the full charge.

from discharged this morning (8:10am) until now (11:50am) my battery is on 67% only. Nearly 4hours and almost 40% drained.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by MrThunderfield View Post

I went to bed, battery fully charged, device idle, no wireless connections.

The next day it had turned itself off.
I've had a couple of experiences similar to this, on the 1.0.1 firmware (not beforehand on the release firmware).

I have a "fully charged" N900, straight off the charger after a long charging interval, showing full battery. A short time later (6 hours), while I wasn't paying attention to it and as far as I know it wasn't doing anything (certainly no gui apps running), it had turned itself off and needed a decent charge followed by battery removal to get it to come up ok.

This has happened twice overnight and once during the day when I was at work.

As far as I can work out, this has only happened when I haven't had internet connectivity enabled.

Since doing the 1.0.1 update, shortly after it was released, it's only happened the three times.

My theory so far has been that some process is grinding the cpu when it expects a network connection but doesn't find one. I don't have a lot of apps installed that run in the background, and my favourite theory is that it may be the app manager trying to update.

(BTW, is there anywhere you can tell the app manager NOT to update itself?)

I have spotted a thumbnailerd apparently hitting the cpu hard for no good reason that I could see a couple of times, but I doubt it's that.

I keep meaning to run a little script to see if any cpu hogging process shows up during the small hours, but I've ended up mostly either charging overnight, or leaving the wifi on at home and not seeing any problem.

It does seem that outside this problem the battery lasts longer in the idle state after the 1.0.1 upgrade - I've been surprised a couple of times by getting two days of light use out of it (again, with either cell or wifi internet connection enabled throughout.)

Anyway the point of this probably too long post is to suggest people investigating it might take a look at whether there's a correlation between no internet connection and this sudden battery drain syndrome. That fits my experience, but of course it's a complex system and it's easy to get fooled!