Active Topics

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kajaani, Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Is there a reason why everybody links the 39-5 (PR1.1) firmware OCF?
Why not directly flash officialPR1.2 (02-6) from
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/release/N950/firmware
or PR1.3 with that flasher version?
Well, at least I did not realize that 02-6 version is actually more recent, since the numbers 39-5 looks like bigger to me...

With only a little time that I've been able to use with N950 stuff so far, those PR1.x numbers did not catch my attention at any web page - at least they give the obvious order for the released firmwares. So thanks for noting this and good links!

I know there is PR1.3 version, but isn't that the leaked one? In other words, it is not official release from Nokia or is it? Is it safe to use?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Germany
@ikkysleepy Ok, so here is how I got my n950 alive again:

1) downloaded the OCF from here: http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/release/N950/firmware/

2) Unpacked it with WinRAR (I used Windows)

3) Used flasher.exe -F img.bin -F emmc.bin -f to charge the device - when it stops charging, reconnect the device and start the flasher again. Repeat until it starts copying the files. Worked for me.

The problem here was that for some reason the secure erase did not work so I just didn't

Result: pr1.1 works. Next up: Get pr1.3 to work

Last edited by dirksonguer; 2012-11-03 at 20:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirksonguer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by dirksonguer View Post
@ikkysleepy Ok, so here is how I got my n950 alive again:

1) downloaded the OCF from here: http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/release/N950/firmware/

2) Unpacked it with WinRAR (I used Windows)

3) Used flasher.exe -F img.bin -F emmc.bin -f to charge the device - when it stops charging, reconnect the device and start the flasher again

The problem here was that for some reason the secure erase did not work so I just didn't

Result: pr1.1 works. Next up: Get pr1.3 to work
I'll try this when I get home, but I don't know that it will work. The phone does begin to charge when the one-click terminal says the phone is too low to flash. The terminal says charging, but after the phone is 1% charged, the phone turns on/off causing the battery to drain to 0%.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikkysleepy For This Useful Post:
After using the N9 for a few days, I can say this: I was sad when Nokia abandoned the N900 because it was the last of a niche product, a hacker phone. Now I'm annoyed that Elop abandoned the N9, because this phone could have beat the iPhone!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ San Francisco, CA
Quick Update. I'm still having the same issue with the phone looping at 1%. I'm gonna wait till tuesday and try a new charged battery. I don't know if the new battery will fit but if it does it will be awesome because it's rated at 1550mAh;

http://www.amazon.com/1550mAh-Li-ion...keywords=BV-4D

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikkysleepy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
After using the N9 for a few days, I can say this: I was sad when Nokia abandoned the N900 because it was the last of a niche product, a hacker phone. Now I'm annoyed that Elop abandoned the N9, because this phone could have beat the iPhone!
Well, summary of all available/leaked information ensure us, that it wasn't "just elop faul" - it was end of loooooong process inside Nokia, starting as threating symbian as an religion, some power games between internal departments, etc.

Elop just came as last act of tragedy, but most bad things were set in stone *much* before he arrived. It's just that he appeared to be poison for curing already mortally ill organism

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Well, summary of all available/leaked information ensure us, that it wasn't "just elop faul"
I hope you're not relying on that recently published article that claimed to be the exact chronological account of where/when everything went wrong/why, & has since been heavily promoted as such throughout the entire internet.
The writer himself is an advocate of the current WP-only strategy, & despite not being able to tell us WHO his several sources were (for obvious reasons), did say that most of them STILL work for Nokia & were based in Finland at the time.*
Many elements of it corroborate what some well-known to the community (& others not) have already blogged about, but some of it has never been broached before, & remains highly questionable/fishy.
I'll be waiting for a time when several folks well-known to the maemo/meego/qt community can collaborate on a uncorrupted/detailed account of what happened, when it's safer to do so, which could be yrs/never.
Apologies for the massive derailment, carry-on lucky devs who are getting White "Unicorn" 64GB N950's and N9's! ;-P

*for those that dont know, Harmattan & Meltemi were highly distributed protects, most of those closely involved where everywhere BUT Finland.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-04 at 17:54. Reason: typo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I hope you're not relying on that recently published article that claimed to be the exact chronological account of where/when everything went wrong/why, & has since been heavily promoted as such throughout the entire internet.
No, I haven't seend that article yet - my interest in post-mortem Nokia's affair is quite limited, to say at least I was referring to many "signs of doom" through years.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

It feels like we haven't had any happy "I got my DHL email" / "I received my device" emails for a couple of days - looking at the updated list is there any happy news from the folks below?
  • Paolo Angelelli
  • fcrochik
  • netvandal (not yet)
  • kesrut
  • marmistrz
  • marrat
  • saidinesh5
  • Wikiwide (not yet)

Oh by the way guys - before you rush to install a leaked pre-release 1.3 on your N950s please remember you have the last of the last in your hands - if you're not 100% confident what you're doing then please take the time to read up on the 1.3 installation, possible problems, and please take a little time to enjoy it first! Hopefully those with problems will get them sorted soon

I know i'm sounding very 'square' here, but the idea of new N950s stuck in boot loops give me the creeps..

I'm still rocking PR1.1 on my N950 - I'm keeping it old skool!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-11-07 at 10:37.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
My package arrived to Israel in two days, but got stuck 5 day in "clearance delay"
Today i got phone calll that my package in the way to my address, but i can't get it (work).. Hopefully tomorrow..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas