Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ pennsylnania, usa
I have access to my daughter's wireless network. The password is stored on my Nokia N800 but We cannot see what it actually is. Neither my daughter nor I wrote down the actual password and we would like to know how to retrieve the actual so that we can save it elsewhere in case of loss of information where we need to reset. The connection password currently works we just don't know what it is and can of course only see ****.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
WHy don't you just log in to your daughter's router and go to the wireless setup page and see what the password is there. If that is **** out too then just change it to a new one, write it down this time, and then type that one in to the N800 too.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jorjab View Post
I have access to my daughter's wireless network. The password is stored on my Nokia N800 but We cannot see what it actually is. Neither my daughter nor I wrote down the actual password and we would like to know how to retrieve the actual so that we can save it elsewhere in case of loss of information where we need to reset. The connection password currently works we just don't know what it is and can of course only see ****.
Yeah, riiighht...

just use the hard reset on the router, if you have access to the router hardware. the manual will tell you how to do this. then set the router up again and make the key/password one you can remember

To the non cynics of you who answered my question.Thank you, we did not know how to access router on her pc or even that we could but will check into that. daughter had wireless professionally installed and he gave us the key which i typed in to nokia as he told it to us, but daughter did not write down.

It would still be nice to know how to access stored passwords on the N800. I can figure that out on my PC but not for the Nokia.

if you have XTerminal installed you can do (as user):

$ gconftool -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP

this will show all your network options, including the password.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
As the key is on the back of the router, which fact is in every manual out there, I think this is a bogus question.
Not hard to guess what the real reason is, now is it...

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
actually, this is still quite an interesting question, as I've often wondered where the tablet stores its connection info, so I'm glad artgopi (thanks!) took the time to actually answer it.

Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
As the key is on the back of the router, which fact is in every manual out there, I think this is a bogus question.
Not hard to guess what the real reason is, now is it...
The MAC Address may be, but the key will not be as it is entered by the user during the router setup routine (at least that's the way with every wireless router I have setup, and I have setup quite a few in my professional capacity).

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Originally Posted by artgopi View Post
if you have XTerminal installed you can do (as user):

$ gconftool -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP

this will show all your network options, including the password.
How do I tell if I have Xterminal installed already or is it something I need to download and if so where is best place to get? I searched online and am not sure what exactly it is I need.

Thanks