Posts: 60 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chicago
All my text messages, recent calls and contacts DELETED! What happened? Has this happened to anyone else here?

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-02-04 at 03:53. Reason: Change thread title

The Following User Says Thank You to ROne21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Not to be paranoid or trying to make you paranoid, but I would make a backup of this thread as well, before it gets deleted.

Use the search on the right to find any of the gazillion threads or google
site:talk.maemo.org N9 sms disappearing.

If the problem would have been more interesting I would have requested for a change of topic title as well...

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Not to be paranoid or trying to make you paranoid, but I would make a backup of this thread as well, before it gets deleted.

Use the search on the right to find any of the gazillion threads or google
site:talk.maemo.org N9 sms disappearing.

If the problem would have been more interesting I would have requested for a change of topic title as well...

thanks for the help but what's the point of saving this thread if there's only you who responded?

Like I said, ALL my messages disappeared along with ALL of my CONTACTS....rebooted multiple times but no joy. Got any real solution besides trying to let me know how smart *** you are?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
ROne21,

Could you be more verbose? Like had you done some installations, some tweaks that led to your data disappearing or was it one fine day everything just disappeared?

Also what steps have you tried to remedy the situation? I would think you should copy the .db to your PC to have a look; its located at /home/user/.cache/tracker/meta.db

Lastly, please change the thread title to "[HELP] All Messages, Contacts & Call Logs Missing" so that people offer their advice instead of thinking the thread has been deleted etc...
Edit: Thread title has been changed to better reflect your query.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-02-04 at 03:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by ROne21 View Post
thanks for the help but what's the point of saving this thread if there's only you who responded?

Like I said, ALL my messages disappeared along with ALL of my CONTACTS....rebooted multiple times but no joy. Got any real solution besides trying to let me know how smart *** you are?
First two results in Google search:
HELP, please: N9 all messages gone. Disappeared!
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
click on the area it says no messages and give it a few seconds to load. all your messages will re-appear. this could occur due to you having more than 2,000 messages.
Let it sit for a few minutes, like Discoveryellow suggests. Or reboot; it should solve the problem.
Look up whether you have file "/home/user/.cache/tracker/meta.db", as juiceme suggests. Unfortunately, it's not messages-DB (its location is unknown), but merely tracker-DB.
Leinad says that from his own experience... losing all messages happens so often to him on the N9 that he got used to it.

[N9] SMS and IM gone, new messages stored blank
csaavedra says that tracker-stats tell him that there are a few thousands IM and SMS messages, so they are not lost - they would just not appear in the UI..
Try query
Code:
tracker-sparql -q "select nie:plainTextContent(?d) where {?d a nmo:SMSMessage}"
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Apparently the system is supposed to work well with only 2,000 messages...If you sync your messages using Nokia Suite you can see that if you have more than 2000 messages it advices you to allow it to clean up and store those messages on your PC but delete them from your phone...

Its a deficiency of Harmattan from what I see it as...Android too was restricted to 5,000 messages till ICS after which the limit is now 10,000 messages before it starts to lag and causes all sorts of issues...
Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
First two results in Google search:
HELP, please: N9 all messages gone. Disappeared!

Let it sit for a few minutes, like Discoveryellow suggests. Or reboot; it should solve the problem.
Look up whether you have file "/home/user/.cache/tracker/meta.db", as juiceme suggests. Unfortunately, it's not messages-DB (its location is unknown), but merely tracker-DB.
Leinad says that from his own experience... losing all messages happens so often to him on the N9 that he got used to it.

[N9] SMS and IM gone, new messages stored blank
csaavedra says that tracker-stats tell him that there are a few thousands IM and SMS messages, so they are not lost - they would just not appear in the UI..
Try query
Code:
tracker-sparql -q "select nie:plainTextContent(?d) where {?d a nmo:SMSMessage}"

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...
2,000 messages, that's unnerving. . .

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
I had this problem today. Here's what I've done:
1.- In contacts application, export all contacts to SIM card (my SIM was empty, so I had nothing to screw)
2.- Then I deleted all the contacts.
3.- Reboot.
4.- After reboot, in contacts application I imported the contacts from the SIM card.
Now I have no merged contacts because they're not allowed in the SIM card, and the long names are also truncated, but I can see all my SMS's.
Regards.