Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was wondering... Is it possible to install DosBox on a desktop (x86) machine, do all of the software setup with a real keyboard and mouse, then copy a drive image over to the tablet when everything is done? That would sure make things easier. I know that's the way VMWare does it. You just copy over some files and point the VMWare workstation at the right directory and presto.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Yeap. You can install everything into a directory (or a hard drive image file if you want), then copy the directory (or hard drive file) over to your NIT to use. Just make the changes to the dosbox.conf file on both systems to setup the autoexec.bat if needed.

It's how I got Windows 95 and Windows 98 running (slow and buggy) on my N800.

Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
If you're running something that doesn't need sound blaster (i.e. win95) on N8x0 try CPU cycles between 1500 and 2000, or select 'max' cycles for an aggressively high cpu setting.

Should give you much better speed OsEmuTech.

I meant to try that.

I'll have to set things up again tomorrow after work. Windows 95 on DOSBox wasn't too slow (especially compared to Bochs), but if upping the cycles improves the speed a bit, it will be useful running on my N800 (well, except the crashes when installing anything).

BTW: I know it's been talked about before, but even messing around with the mouse sensitivity in dosbox.conf doesn't prevent problems with the cursor not being one-to-one with the movement of the stylus when running certain DOS programs and Windows 3.x/9x.

And the the cursor suffers from being "sticky"; not letting go after a titlebar is clicked so when the stylus is pressed to the screen again the window is moved to that location, as if the left mouse button continues to be pressed down between clicks of the stylus and the windows is dragged to each new location. I know there is a CTRL-F10 combo to release the mouse, but can something be implemented in your port or is this unfeasible? i.e. moving the stylus off the screen releases the left mouse button.

I was just wondering about those two mouse issues: whether you knew about them and whether you hoped to someday implement something to remedy them.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
...I got Windows 95 and Windows 98 running (slow and buggy) on my N800...
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
BTW: I know it's been talked about before, but even messing around with the mouse sensitivity in dosbox.conf doesn't prevent problems with the cursor not being one-to-one with the movement of the stylus when running certain DOS programs and Windows 3.x/9x.

And the the cursor suffers from being "sticky"; not letting go after a titlebar is clicked so when the stylus is pressed to the screen again the window is moved to that location, as if the left mouse button continues to be pressed down between clicks of the stylus and the windows is dragged to each new location.
I am so glad you're doing this! I have obtained a copy of Win 3.11 and I was planning to install it this weekend, but I'm wondering if I should wait for you to solve the big problems with Win 95 and then install that instead. I mean, if you can get Win95 running, we might be able to even install MS Word 97, which can open almost all modern Word docs correctly. Very exciting!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
New working double keyboard.

First, there is no Shift key, since it will break the Xkbd program.

However, there is a Caps Lock button, just below the red Backspace key.

Now, the Caps Lock button tends to carry it's flag when you close out the keyboard.

Meaning, that if you're typing in Caps, but the keyboard is all lower case, just press the Caps Lock button and close out the keyboard.

The next time you fire Xkbd up, everything should be all spiffy like, and you should only have to do this once.

Sorry for such an incredibly small font size.

Is there a way to customize each key as to how big the font is for it? I'd like to use three different font sizes in total.

I'm not finding how to do that. So any help on this would be really welcomed.

Also, anyone care to draw up an up, down, left, and right arrow keys?

Each button is 26 by 28 pixels I believe and the image needs to be in .xpm format. I have no clue on how to even begin doing that.

Edit your /usr/bin/dosboxxkbd file to
#!/bin/sh
xkbd -geometry +65536+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x2.xkbd & xkbd -geometry +722+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd

Well, post any responses on the design or you can just pepper my stomach with tender kisses if you're feeling that grateful to me.

Cheers.

Here's the two files:
x.zip
x2.zip

Last edited by Addison; 2008-03-23 at 02:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ....

Can I just send you a bunch of money via PayPal instead? Thanks!

I'll set things up tomorrow while visiting my parents. Happy Easter!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
New working double keyboard.
WOW!!! I'm speechless!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
WOW!!! I'm speechless!
Then why did you say anything?

Ah duh!

Yeah OSEmuTech, Happy Easter to you too.

It's holidays like these when you get to visit the family .........
and remind yourself why you left in the first place.

Hey, I just thought of something, are there special characters that have arrows on them that could be used for the up, down, left, and right keys?

That way, no one would have to draw the graphics for them.

Cheers guys.

Now, if you don't mind, it's time to party!

Michigan State is heading for the sweet sixteen.

A common problem with DOSBox seems to be that the location of the MSDOS mouse pointer does not correspond to the place where you tap on the screen. I think that I found the solution on my Nokia N800 by editing the

/usr/share/dosbox/dosbox.conf

file so that:

autolock=false