Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
1) The thickness. 18mm (almost 2cm!) is way too thick. The N810 was borderline too thick of a device for me (~14mm). There is no way that this device can fit comfortably in my pocket meaning it will have to be carried by hand or in a bag (I have a strict no belt-clip policy) either of which are extremely unattractive options for me.
YARR!
}:^)~
Tapt'n
Good thing all my pants and shorts have cargo pockets! I also keep my phone in a belt holster, I'm married and really don't give a crap how people think I dress. I also lived for the past 17 years in a state that Carhartt overalls with no stains on them count as "dress up" clothing. Overall I don't think the extra what, centimeter of thickness will matter that much. Also for us current At&t folks, the N900 is almost exactly the same size as the HTC Tilt/Kaiser.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...00-vs-ATT-Tilt

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

The Following User Says Thank You to barry99705 For This Useful Post:
Sono photos with Nokia N900’s that are not running final firmware
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/31/p...sample-photos/

Quality is not good.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Belgium
1) thickness: keep in mind how much this device offers. for everything it brings i think the size is very good. surely devices like the iphone are smaller but they have less features.

2) touch screen: you may be right here. But even though you notice that in the "interaction documentary" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE) the guy presses relatively hard on the screen, i think it looks like resistive TC's have been improving and the needed pressure looks quite reasonable (non-problematic) to me.

3) browser: sure, the default browser may not be perfect. That's why the community is coming with alternatives such as tear.

4) track record: others have already said exactly the same as what I would say.

5) apps: that may be true. but i don't see much problems here. the n900 looks quite "usable by default". the most important thing here is the community, which may not be as big as e.g. the appstore community, but OTOH it's simple to port applications to maemo (it's a Linux with a "normal" userland, unlike android)

6) landscape: what others said.

conclusion: it's still early to tell. surely there are optimistic and pessimistic opinions. I seem to belong in the former group, just remember one thing: what nokia brings us is only 1 half of the story, the other half is the community

The Following User Says Thank You to dieter_be For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by 8mobile View Post
Sono photos with Nokia N900’s that are not running final firmware
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/31/p...sample-photos/

Quality is not good.
AGAIN, a lot of stuff having to do with cameras gets tweaked and changed between a prototype and the final shipping hardware so do not take those pictures as any sort of proof of the final quality of the hardware/software.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@zerojay: take it easy he mentioned that fact already in his post... "not running final firmware", so I'm sure he's aware of that fact now that it's mentioned a few times already.

No need to be a n900 apologist before it even materializes...

excuse me but the post is "The N900 looks good but ..." so we have to speak in THIS POST about presumed problems or limit about this device.

Dear zerojay i have already reserved Nokia N900 on Nokia Point (in Italy it's possible) because i love Maemo and i hope in the future to use it as primary device.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by 8mobile View Post
Dear zerojay i have already reserved Nokia N900 on Nokia Point (in Italy it's possible) because i love Maemo and i hope in the future to use it as primary device.
I'm glad to hear that. I wish I was able to as well. :/

Hi there, I have some questions about this awesome phone.

1) The display of my N96 seems quite sensitive to scratches: did Nokia use some better material to avoid damages to a surface that surely will be much more stressed than ordinary non-touch screen phones?

2) I really believe people would use larger displays these days, I wonder why Nokia did not follow this idea, building a larger display than iPhone. Maybe Nokia has some polls about maximum display size tolerance from average user?

3) While I am sure Nokia puts all the possible efforts in when working on a project, unfortunately it looks like Nokia phone application software (S60 based) is in a never-ending, badly supported, experimental phase. Can maemo users expect a big change on this and, what are the expectations about software reliability?

4) Will Nokia be delivering maemo-based applications for existsing accessories, like the Car Kit series?

5) Why did Nokia left the DVB receiver out of this jewel? It looks like the only missing hardware....

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You felt the need to tell us by placing a spam link to your blog instead of just posting the content directly, here?
Spam link? I don't have a problem with someone deciding to link out to their blog. You don't care what he has to say, don't follow. Simple really.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Spam link? I don't have a problem with someone deciding to link out to their blog. You don't care what he has to say, don't follow. Simple really.
I didn't follow the link. Your point?

The guy posted his stuff here anyway (which I'm grateful for). So...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-31 at 22:16.