Active Topics

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
That's ridiculous. Some of the best programmers I've known have been broke as hell
Perhaps because they were good in programming but bad in finishing a product?
OTOH: 50 EUR is nothing if you're even halfway serious.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

the good thing with maemo is that you don't have to publish your app to the ovi store to sell it. Heck, you can even give away your app and let people install it. Eat that, apple! So, in my mind the money to publish is optional.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
the good thing with maemo is that you don't have to publish your app to the ovi store to sell it. Heck, you can even give away your app and let people install it. Eat that, apple! So, in my mind the money to publish is optional.
My question is: can you do both?

I'd love to put my app on Ovi for the consumers when it's done but also have it freely available for tech people who actually look for it.

Is that allowed?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
In the UK, "VAT Registration Number" is a mandatory field on the Ovi Publisher registration form. This rules out most individuals, and also small companies (such as my own) which are trading below the VAT Registration Threshold.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
to publish on ovi can u do testing on maemo.org or can you go straight to ovi.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Ovi Store currently provides content for S40 and S60 (+Maemo in the future, hopefully) so we have to think globally.

I think Ovi Store should let developers:

- get in free
(fair condition: only freeware content can be submitted then)

- get content updates published fast & easily
(Ovi Store client could check for updates regularly to utilize this)

- get paid fast & easily
(if not utilized at the moment, as a customer paying / as a developer being paid with PayPal could help IMO)

- don't mess with the rest (since developers are currently sharing %30 of their income, so it's equal to paying Ovi for their services; so Ovi should simplify developers' work on their side to let them just focus on developing)

As far as I see, this would create a win-win situation.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I'd love to put my app on Ovi for the consumers when it's done but also have it freely available for tech people who actually look for it.
Not sure what the issue is here. Both Extras and Ovi will be reasonably advertised for consumers. If you want money, go with Ovi, if you don't push it to Extras. Easy peasy.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Not sure what the issue is here. Both Extras and Ovi will be reasonably advertised for consumers. If you want money, go with Ovi, if you don't push it to Extras. Easy peasy.
What if I want the development community to have my hypothetical app for free, though?

Would I be allowed to offer it up to them on the side, or would that go against some rule set out by the powers that be?

I feel that if I took my app and put it on the Ovi store for say, a euro or two, but not available for free here, most people here would frown upon that, and call me a sell out.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I feel that if I took my app and put it on the Ovi store for say, a euro or two, but not available for free here, most people here would frown upon that, and call me a sell out.
If you distribute your app in ovi store for a price and the exactly same app is available in extras for free, guess where most consumers are going to get it from... You might get a sucker or two but word gets around Basically the ovi store would then only serve as a means to make a donation instead of being a profitable marketplace for your app.

So I think that you have to make a choice there, you can't realistically expect to have both.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
What if I want the development community to have my hypothetical app for free, though?
Then you'll have to make free app available after the commercial one I guess, but doing that (and the way you'll follow while doing that) will be very arguable.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Tags
bizarro ovi store, development, nokia, ovi store