Originally Posted by Roland684 View Post
From my experience with Android, I know there no longer is a focus (in Android). It once existed, but was partially removed, partially not updated for a long time. So there is no way to highlight the app you want to start. And in places where it still exists, like with many on screen keyboards, it works unexpected. Apps not always support a hardware keyboard or always work in portrait mode, the focus starts invisible at random positions, moving the focus often does not go in the logical direction, etc.
In Android, physical keyboard support is a relic from the past, which probably explains why no one is making an Android phone with a keyboard any more. Android has become pointing device only.
So don't expect too much from android apps.

Jolla has always intended there to be a keyboard other half and even made changes to Sailfish for this specific keyboard. So I expect support to be a lot better, although it's hard to build keyboard support keyboard when no keyboard exits to test it with.

I don't know if it will work everywhere, as soon as the keyboard is available the support will improve for Sailfish OS and Sailfish apps. .

Unfortunately a standard usb keyboard/mouse does not seem to work on the Jolla. (apparently USB-OTG is not supported) So I can't easily check the current state.

On the bright side: The keyboard doesn't only do the things which already exists, it also adds some features. Like alt-tab to switch applications.
Thanks Roland684, very helpful post. I have ordered my Jolla phone and is eagerly waiting to be delivered. I am moving from a BB Bold 9900 and is planning to get TOHKBD2 soon(if it's still available) . I hope Keyboard will get more support in the future releases of Sailfish OS.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by deryo View Post
I just had a look at the eagle schematics and board files and some questions arose:
  • "TOH Technical Specifications" from Jolla define some antenna keep out areas. The document says: "avoid anything else than pure cover plastic on those areas to keep antenna performance intact." If I understand the board layout correctly there are two ground layers covering these areas. Don't these shield the antennas?

Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
But in my use here I have noticed no issues whatsoever in signal strength, so hopefully in the less signal-generous areas this will not cause issues. But again, no signal issues on this side.
This was of course business talk for "FAAACCCKKK!! STUPID MISTAKE!! ALL BOARDS ARE USELESS" so I reordered all the boards without ground planes (and some other tweaks). They just arrived, heavy box.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
The ability to admit and fix mistakes this way is why I like to do business with indie-developers rather than corp-machines!

The corp-way would have been "ship the rubbish, and switch only the boards for those individuals who take us to court and force us!"

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
The corp-way would have been "ship the rubbish, and switch only the boards for those individuals who take us to court and force us!"
"There is no problem as long as you hold the phone properly (with not more than 1 finger). But OK, Here is an ugly case you can put on your phone to fix the non-existing problem"
Where have we heard that before?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roland684 For This Useful Post:
I have a question about steal black backplate. Is it real steal or other metal? If so, have you check it won't affect phone?

I read that magnets should not make problems, but i started worrying about that backplate.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
I have a question about steal black backplate. Is it real steal or other metal? If so, have you check it won't affect phone?

I read that magnets should not make problems, but i started worrying about that backplate.
it's a plastic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
This was of course business talk for "FAAACCCKKK!! STUPID MISTAKE!! ALL BOARDS ARE USELESS" so I reordered all the boards without ground planes (and some other tweaks). They just arrived, heavy box.
I like that you changed the board layouts. Otherwise I would have done it myself

If you shared the redesign with us before ordering I would have had a look at it, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deryo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Just ordered the second last. So hurry guys...

Cheers,

J4ZZ

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Ghaaaa! The wait is excruciating!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
Ghaaaa! The wait is excruciating!
Same here, got my Jolla couple of weeks ago and after some initial quibbles, fell in love with Sailfish OS. Even though waiting for TOHKBD2 is painful, I am sure the TOHKBD2 team is doing a fantastic job to make it the best keyboard expericence. Kudos to the team and dirkvl ..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yawuji For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd