Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
I think emulator in QT SDK is not "full emulator" so you can't click and interact with Maemo OS or applications. It will just show your app.

Try those demos, they have buttons and whatnot, and are clickable.

F-Secure also reported something weird on QT SDK installation:

p.s. I manage to crash my computer (cold boot from hardware) with Animated Tiles demo app. Fan goes for superfast and soon later cpu tops and hardware crashes.This happens a bit after I click something there and zoom Maemo emu up a bit. Anyone else having trouble?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Holy s**t!

The hd requirements is 4gb !??

OK so basically I do not need to install scratchbox anymore?
Is it still possible to port applications to maemo (PR1.2) and MeeGo (e.g. build abiword and deploy to n900)??

I know abiword is gtk-based but if the underlying platform has gtk installed cross-compiling software is still possible with this SDK?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
The two languages supported are cpp and the Qt scripting language. Personally I would rather use neither, is it possible to make use of the device simulators but with other languages such as PyQt?
There has been already some talk about this, and apparently the answer is yes, but not with the current beta (or additional tweaking). I will try and see whether I can hack the madde/simulator part to cooperate with python (QtCreator people were not too enthusiastic about Python a while back, but that might have changed in the meantime). If QtCreator is not an option, we could still use the MADDE link for running stuff on-device and use the simulator + Maemo libs through plugins (=Eric, Eclipse, etc).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Holy s**t!

The hd requirements is 4gb !??
You don't need to do a full install. If you don't want to develop for Symbian or don't need the Qt Sources, you can deselect those and save a lot of diskspace.

Originally Posted by trotor View Post
I think emulator in QT SDK is not "full emulator" so you can't click and interact with Maemo OS or applications. It will just show your app.
You are right, the OS is not simulated.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by nath View Post
You are right, the OS is not simulated.
That's a shame, as I guess it would mean we couldn't simulate status bar or Settings (control panel) applets.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
That's a shame, as I guess it would mean we couldn't simulate status bar or Settings (control panel) applets.
That's right. The Simulator is for testing Qt applications only. The reasoning is that only those are portable across devices (to the N8 for example).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by nath View Post
It sounds as if you wrote an application that is showing nothing, so of course there would be nothing to interact with in the Simulator.

Or did I understand wrong what you are trying to do?
No, it's actually an application using QtMainWindow, so it should be visible (and it was, only no other widgets added to it yet).
But what I sort of had expected was that the simulator would be more responsive in that way that the window would be possible to minimize the app and see the system menu etc. Like the scratchbox.

Nah scratch that. I understand now, it doesn't simulate the OS.

But, another thing then, I don't get the hildon Qt style when running the app. in the simulator. How is that done?

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-04-28 at 13:43. Reason: misspell

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
nath, from your posts you sound like you worked on this SDK - is that right?

FINALLY!!!!!!

I'm so excited. I cannot wait to start developing with this. We'll also start seeing apps from major companies like Goggle, etc.. With the install base that Symbian has there is no way they'll pass it up.

I'm so proud of Nokia, lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sevla For This Useful Post: