Active Topics

Yes MikeHG I think the popup in the middle of the night is good idea and will work for most people.
I'd also like a check before update install (btrfs fi df / btrfs fi show / type stuff) so users have less risk of having an update go wrong.

btrfs was very sexy (and still is in ways) so I can see why they picked it with snapshots automatic ssd detection, compression etc. we just know better now but can't do much about it except perhaps on a future device. I like the idea of LVM with EXT mentioned above very well understood and stable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
I get the impression a lot of the problems stem from a) old version of BTRFS, and b) relatively small flash chip in the phone. It seems to be a theme with next generation filesystems - ZFS is said to fall to pieces on anything less than 50GB.

Newer kernels and Moore's Law to the rescue: these problems might well disappear in future devices, effectively (cold comfort for us, maybe )

Last edited by MikeHG; 2014-12-21 at 23:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Recently suse and suse enterprise got brtfs and a couple other distros the most awsome thing i found is snapshots going back to previous versions is a breeze .
Well, there are a few things to note about OpenSUSE and btrfs:
  • they are actually only using it on rootfs, home is still EXT4 AFAIK
  • the set of officiall supported btrfs features (at least in SLES) is actually quite limited
  • people already seem to be already reporting various issues with btrfs

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Guys,
I really appreciate all technical tips about btrfs and related stuff. But really, could someone explain where are my 3.3 GB gone (first message of this thread)? Is Morpog right?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everybody !

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post: