Ok, so in fact I didn't yet enable developer mode. I tried to do it, it downloaded some apps, then rebooted, but entered a reboot loop, ending with:

Device is malfunctioning
You may try re-flashing the software.

then

Software problem (dnsmasq): too many reboots

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Ouch. Send it back!
I was worried about the same thing when I got three reboots in a row, but thankfully it then started. After too many it will declare itself dead and won't bother trying to boot any more (as you've got).
You might be able to (cold?) flash it into life again, but it's not worth the effort, as there's clearly a fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
I think it's too early to be sure. It was clearly functionning ok, and enabling developer mode leaded to that dnsmasq issue.

I'd clearly like to reflash it, but I can't seem to be able to find the N9 firmwares. Any idea?

By the way I don't have a windows machine so I can't use NavyFirm. Any idea how to get the firmware files?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Try this. Have not tried it but it has non window method too.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=591

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK
I have had 2 reboots in the last 24 hours, so not too bad. I've been using the twitter and facebook feed page a fair bit this morning and it hasn't crashed.

I also watched an episode of horizon last night and it did that just fine. I'm going to wait for the sim adapter (should be here today) then get the 900 back up and running, and send the N9 back for a refund/credit.

I adore the OS, hate the lack of a hardware keyboard, so might stick with the 900 for now, we'll see.

The Following User Says Thank You to HughF_UK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Try this. Have not tried it but it has non window method too.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=591
Thanks, but I do have the flasher, what am I missing is the firmware files. On the developper website the OneClick flasher is only for N950, not N9.

Originally Posted by corsac View Post
Thanks, but I do have the flasher, what am I missing is the firmware files. On the developper website the OneClick flasher is only for N950, not N9.
And I did find a place:

http://mrcrab.net/nokia/Nokia_N9.htm...n=10.2011.34.1

The website doesn't completely look legit, but links are to Nokia servers (for example the Black 64GB variant points to http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/fdp/i...M1-958_ARM.bin

I'll bite the bullet and try this...

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by corsac View Post
Ok, so in fact I didn't yet enable developer mode. I tried to do it, it downloaded some apps, then rebooted, but entered a reboot loop, ending with:

Device is malfunctioning
You may try re-flashing the software.

then

Software problem (dnsmasq): too many reboots
Same here, I tried to enable developer mode and it will no longer boot, even flashing the rootfs and then emmc doesn't revive it, so now it's heading back to handtec. During the time the phone did work I found it very enjoyable so I will try again, hopefully the newer batches have better parts.

I'm holding to a theory that handtec's batch might have been corrupted on the journey back to Europe from Oz, some kind of temperature damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to jah25 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK
That sounds a lot worse than mine, the first thing I did was enable dev mode