Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
And if any confirmation was needed, it just rebooted randomly rather than freezing. Great!
Although I do have the issue where it says it's got PR1.1, but then quotes the old version number. Maybe I'll try to do a complete reflash tonight (if I can find the appropriate files)
Bad luck. Sounds to me that you've got duff hardware which is slightly worrying when I've probably got one from the same batch. Mine's working so far and working extremely well. (I'm crossing everything and touching wood).

My N9 updated to PR1.1 perfectly with absolutely zero problems over wifi with it plugged in to USB to charge while doing it.

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Enabled developer mode, so I could get an xterm and check dmesg.... it rebooted as it said it would.. but then its back to the too many reboots, dnsmasq problem..

Good job I can re-flash it with the.. ahh.. crap.. the PR1.1 firmware isn't available as an image (via navifirm) so the phone is hosed and flasher-3.12 won't (and probably rightly so) allow a downgrade so I can't reflash PR1.0

It was good for a few hours.. no random reboots, although apps crashed a few times (maps wouldn't stay open)

Back the phone goes.. damnit

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Ok, messing with flasher (set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset) I got my device to boot.. turns out dnsmasq wouldn't start and since it was mandatory, the lifeguard halts the phone (thanks for that!)

Reason it wouldn't start is because the network interface "lo" was not up.. totally unconfigured..

Checking /etc/networking/interfaces and the file is completely blank!!

Seems the developer mode packages can empty this file.. and without this file lo never comes up and therefore dnsmasq doesn't start and therefore BRICKED

So.. this doesn't on the surface seem like a hardware stability issue.. it looks like a CRAP package in the developer mode set.. I'm debugging the inst scripts now to see how bad they are and why they bombed before correcting the /etc/network/interface file.

Eitherway, it can be recovered.. but its a pain and shouldn't happen.. on the surface it looks like it could happen to anyone, stable N9 or flakey N9

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ London
Sent my phone back to Handtec Monday and got my paypal refund Tuesday, excellent customer service. Ordered a new N9 from Amazon Germany Tuesday (saved over £40 compared to Handtec so that's a plus) and it arrives today, the Germans and their efficiency! Here's hoping for a better experience.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Helsinki, Finland
Eitherway, it can be recovered.. but its a pain and shouldn't happen.. on the surface it looks like it could happen to anyone, stable N9 or flakey N9
In your post on Nokia discussion forums [1] you mentioned that you might have a patch, you can submit it through me, would be much appreciated - we are working on the problem but cannot reproduce it so far..

1. http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...1192015/page/3

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
the Germans and their efficiency!
The Swedes seem less efficient. My Tuesday order (after getting Handtec refund) from ClickOk.se has been acknowledged, but not shipped as yet (as far as I can tell)

The Swedes seem less efficient. My Tuesday order (after getting Handtec refund) from ClickOk.se has been acknowledged, but not shipped as yet (as far as I can tell)
Mine should be arriving today at the office, and I'm working from home (sourced in amazon.de, ordered on Monday). However, they sent it via sh^H^Hcity link, so not sure whether their tracker is telling the truth (I have previous experience with them ).

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
Ok, messing with flasher (set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset) I got my device to boot..

dnsmasq wouldn't start and since it was mandatory

Seems the developer mode packages can empty this file..
and without this file lo never comes up and therefore dnsmasq
doesn't start and therefore BRICKED

Developer mode can touch /etc/network/interfaces; the
/usr/lib/sdk-connectivity-tool/bin/usb0.pl does the editing
of that file.
I've spent a good amount of time to re-check the contents
of that file but cannot find how it could fail (in normal circumstances)...
But I might be blind to the code I've originally written.
Also, we've tried hard to get our test devices to fail, without
"success".

But, Is you (or anyone else) finds anything about the developer
mode tools I'm very interested to hear (and will fix any problem
quickly).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to too For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Handtec are getting more 64gbs in - so people sending them back should get replacements if they want them

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK
I've asked them what codes they are getting - as the 059J1V4 were nearly all duff :P