Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Anyone seen hp's WebOS event?

They extended the webOS family up to 10" tablet form factor and also down to a 'mini' smartphone of sort (credit card sized).

They showed some very interesting features too (tap your smartphone to the tablet, then it'll 'transfer' the open webpage to the bigger screen, etc).

All this to be available this summer.

Yet another contender coming in strong to this marketspace... all the while Nokia busy fighting their worse enemy.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I would prefer to see Nokia come out with something I want. The N900 isn't what I wanted. I wanted a newer, faster upgrade to the N800 (Internet Tablets) line. Nokia was myopic enough to DROP that line instead of adding to it and maintaining a leading role in a product category they effectively OWNED for a time back in 2006-2008. An obvious and arrogant mistake from a company that preferred to float high and above the criticism--but one that I think many people here at the time were arguing already.

On the other hand, if you bought an N900 and you liked it... perhaps you can take the same advice we N800 owners were given: your device still works, doesn't it? Shut up and be happy with your "perfect" device. Support? SUPPORT YOURSELVES. *scraps from the table dropped occasionally, Nokia laughs evilly as it taps cigar ash on your heads*
Well, you make some good points. I would also like to see Nokia come out with something I want. Basically something like the N900 but with a bigger screen (4-5inch) and about twice as fast with QWERTY keyboard more ram and so forth. So the N9 was pretty close by the specs that were flying around. It makes no difference to me if it has Meego or Maemo as long as there is a community that helped supported it like maemo.org. Kudos to you folks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Well, you make some good points. I would also like to see Nokia come out with something I want. Basically something like the N900 but with a bigger screen (4-5inch) and about twice as fast with QWERTY keyboard more ram and so forth. So the N9 was pretty close by the specs that were flying around. It makes no difference to me if it has Meego or Maemo as long as there is a community that helped supported it like maemo.org. Kudos to you folks.
I agree. I had no idea at all when I clicked "Buy" when I bought the N900 I was actually becoming part of the amazing Maemo community. Makes it all the more worth it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Cracow, Poland
Two sources close to Nokia have confirmed today the cancellation of the company's first MeeGo-based mobile phone, Yahoo is reporting. Following yesterday's leak of a memo from CEO Stephen Elop, where he referred to Nokia as "standing on a burning platform", the internet has been buzzing with talk that Elop is planning to make big changes to the Finnish company. Elop's revolution is making itself public at a time when speculation that Nokia is preparing to switch to Windows Phone 7 is making the rounds on tech blogs, giving the rumours more and more credibility.

Canalys analyst Tim Shepherd believes the move could be justified, despite Nokia's investments into the platform. "Frankly, Nokia has to decide whether maintaining MeeGo is of strategic value in the short or longer term. If it believes MeeGo will not deliver value, it should divert resources elsewhere," he said. Shepherd pointed out that Elop has no "emotional attachment" to any platforms, so a change of platform that would benefit the business would not be too difficult for him.

MeeGo was first announced in February last year as a joint venture between Nokia and Intel. The aim of the project was to merge Intel's Moblin and Nokia's Maemo into a single product. While MeeGo has a long number of possible applications, the fact that one of its developers is not confident enough to install it on their phones is a worrying sign. Nonetheless, MeeGo has a long list of supporters, so it's unlikely to die overnight even if Nokia withdrew entirely from the project.
http://www.neowin.net/news/insider-n...ly-meego-phone

Originally Posted by pkubaj View Post
Old news skewed by a pro-Windows website.
Hey, welcome to the party.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I fear that the QWERTY is gone and that the first meego phone from nokia will be a replacement for n8.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
OMG breaking news!! lol.

Already been a thread or 5 about it mate.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
I agree. I had no idea at all when I clicked "Buy" when I bought the N900 I was actually becoming part of the amazing Maemo community. Makes it all the more worth it!
It's a shame you weren't here when it was far more constructive and truly deserved to be called an amazing community. It's become something of a slowly dying ember and infinitely more pessimistic than the happier days of Internet Tablet Talk. There are still a good number of people I continue to have good conversations with, on here. It surprises me, sometimes, that it still holds a valuable community but I'm glad to see it's still here despite the degradation.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
One thread for each timezone..

Nice to see how the story evolves.. "cancels N9" has already transformed to "cancels only MeeGo phone". So maybe the next article jumps the gun and claims MeeGo is cancelled. Did you ever play the game as a kid where you whispered something to the next persons ear, then he would to the next one's and the message was relayed and in the end it would be something completely different? Well, that's the blogosphere rumour mill at work.

Last edited by jsa; 2011-02-09 at 22:30.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Insider: Nokia has cancelled their only MeeGo phone" (4 posts) has been merged into this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
cia debunked, its true, n9 is a myth, no kia, scifi, top secret