Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
sorry, I don't get it. Neither >>that final board development will be closed<< nor >>unlike the old OpenMoko process<< seems correct assumptions to me.
He probably meant that part (from 1st post):

what we won't hand out are the project files to feed the fab with, and the "shopping list" with all the commercial contacts
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
He probably meant that part (from 1st post):

/Estel
Was Openmoko any different in this regard?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Was Openmoko any different in this regard?
definitely not at all. The opposite, OM not even disclosed schematics until much later after product rolled out. And OM never discussed product specs - not to think of technical details of a product - with users on a level that's already happening here right now.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

I don't mind if Jolla company makes copy from this project:
Jolla N900 - Back to the Future

Jolla has a completely different customer target group. They obviously are not and never will be interested in this project, neither in the customers that are interested in this project. Jolla targets mass market and tries to compete with other smartphones (like already N9 did), while this project is about continuation of the NIT (Nokia Internet Tablet) concept, with the remarkable Nokia commercial statement "N900 is not a phone, it's a computer on top of your palm"(OWTTE)

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-03 at 19:59.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
(...)neither in the customers that are interested in this project. (...)
Fun fact: I have some interest in Jolla, and I actually heard about this project on Jolla Tides.

Now my interest in Jolla is a bit lower, and my interest in Neo900 is sky-high !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
They obviously are not and never will be interested in this project, neither in the customers that are interested in this project.
Jolla targets mass market and tries to compete with other smartphones (like already N9 did), while this project is about continuation of the NIT (Nokia Internet Tablet) concept,
Not to troll or take the thread off-topic, but in all fairness that's a really big call to make about hw/sw you've never used...
Everything they've hinted is that it'll be far less crippled than Harmattan WRT it's many closed components & crazy security frameworks.
Even the UX looks very different to Harmattan's, & with large chunks of it purported to be open, it may be more Harmattan-like or more Nemo/Freemantle-like, take your pick.
The only way you could say it's not in the spirit of the N900, is via the fact that it doesn't have a physical qwerty, at least "out-of-the-box".
This project borrows the N900 concept & takes it to a level of openness far greater than the original N900/Fremantle, possibly the Jolla_Ph/Sailfish too, that's what I/others like.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-04 at 12:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Jolla has a completely different customer target group. They obviously are not and never will be interested in this project, neither in the customers that are interested in this project. Jolla targets mass market and tries to compete with other smartphones (like already N9 did), while this project is about continuation of the NIT (Nokia Internet Tablet) concept, with the remarkable Nokia commercial statement "N900 is not a phone, it's a computer on top of your palm"(OWTTE)
Joerg,
don't you forget that some of the ppl who develop the Jolla device / Sailfish also developed the N900 / Fremantle? and before that N8x0 / OS200y...
  • they have learned from the Maemo epic (locked up in a "nerd" (no offence) community) that never was commercialy viable and thus
  • completely depended on NOKIA's ongoing success (with Symbian)

thus yes, they are aiming at a wider public as they need to quickly become commercially successful / viable
and being compatible with Android is the only way, alas.
i'm sure they would love to develop pure FOSS but Maemo has proven this is not possible, at least not if you want to reach the general public.
life sucks and then you die; meanwhile, try to improve the world, a little piece at the time.
they simply aim at a (slightly) larger piece then you do

still puzzled about the logistics of the whole undertaking - looking at the GTA0x supply chain and can't help wondering... doesn't look like "non-profit" to me :-\
most just look like on-line shops

but, yeah, this is off topic, of course...

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I love those fanboys!!! Really! Always did!

I just again don't get a single word of misterc. Just no, I for sure don't forget anything. And no, this is NOT a non-profit project, not everybody is as insane as I am, to spend 24/7 for maemo for 9 months, without a single cent of income, eating up savings. And yes, all reasinong about Jolla, no matter how correct it may be, is actually kinda offtopic here. And finally: I'm fed up with a certain kind of criticism as an end in itself.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!