Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cyberboy109 View Post
oki with android alot of devices will be stuck on 2.2 and theres also still a few on 1.6 till...so lets say I bought the dell streak Id have to wait for some on the hack the device to run 3.0....atleast with nokia they still kinda work after so many years such as the n95 my friend can still go on the web an watch flash videos using starfire....
I think you're referring to THIS:
http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

As you can see, it's really rare to find devices on 1.5 or 1.6. Very rare. Meanwhile, MOST Maemo devices (770, N800, N810, N810 WiMax Edition) are still stuck in Diablo (Maemo 4) or older, since Nokia saw fit to drop all support for everything made previous to the N900 once it put out the new device. If you want to compare newer devices to newer devices, the N900 hasn't had any upgrades to the OS since it came out (updates, but nothing major). Android upgrade support varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it appears you're almost certain to have at least version 2.2.x or 2.3.x on most devices. Both are more recent and have been successfully updated more than the N900.

I'm not sure where the N95 comes into the picture at all, though. Have you been able to watch Flash on your N800 or something? Tell me how you did it--I've not been able to do anything beyond using MyTube to download the raw FLV videos.

Here's the important thing, though: can you buy applications for the N900 and expect those apps to follow you onto any new Nokia devices? I know I BOUGHT that navigation kit for the N800 (the car mount, GPS module, software, etc. and it wasn't cheap). Sure, the license carried into the newer OS2008 Wayfinder app but after ONE update, they didn't bother updating the maps any longer and the application was effectively working but with old data, it becomes increasingly useless.

When I bought apps/licenses on my old Droid (even back when it was running 2.1 way at the start), that stuff remained with me the whole time I kept doing upgrades (now on 2.3.3) and even on my other Android devices because they were tied to ME... not to the device, OS version or even the manufacturer of my hardware. It's been a far better experience, at least for me.

Also--my Motorola Droid is still working spectacularly after a year and a half of owning it. PLUS--I got Flash 10.2 working on it. What does your N800 have? What does the N900 have? Just things to consider, is all I'm saying: think platform and how competition between hardware using a common platform might be a big advantage. Even Apple's ecosystem can't claim that. They lack that diversity and it helps to make better products.

It...plus ig I got a larger device avour 7 inches some aps refuse to work/open I tried a few my self...android said they would fix this problem but time will tell.....i really miss my n800
http://developer.android.com/resourc...d/screens.html

Which apps are you talking about specifically? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (7-inches) and a Nook Color (running Android 2.3.3, also 7-inches) and I don't think I've run into any applications that can't run or look malformed with the exception of only The Weather Channel app (but that application actually looks malformed even on my normal Motorola Droid's small screen--it seems they broke the application even since they updated the app to version 3.x). Let me know if you can show me some examples, otherwise I'm not sure I can believe you, based on my own first-hand experience.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
oki with android alot of devices will be stuck on 2.2 and theres also still a few on 1.6 till...so lets say I bought the dell streak Id have to wait for some on the hack the device to run 3.0....(
I'm sorry but I don't follow; what exactly did you use to do with the N800 that Android 2.2 won't be able to do? Why do you need to update to 3.0? If you were fine with a four-year old device, why suddenly you need an OS that's barely out?

From what I've read I'd recommend Dell streak or the WiFI Galaxy tab.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
no my point is I dont wanna be spending £500 on a device that will be stuck out dated and the only way I would be able to upgrade is by using unofficial updates,
The reason I didnt buy the n900 is because I notice the lack of support by nokia, but wasnt sure wat was happening with the actual maemo scene...Iv only had one android device but again Iv followed the android forums and so for most of the devices there seems to be some one asking when is a update due and 90% of the time with the reply is use an unofficial rom....So this is my view it feels like if I want to upgrade an android device I must buy a newer model...may this be to run new apps or just improvements to the overall device......Im not out to bash android......I do like the dell streak seems more hack able than the samsung......slightly off topic id love to see a ubuntu tablet

The Following User Says Thank You to cyberboy109 For This Useful Post:
I was using an n95 as an example of an older device able to show flash on its browser even ifs its using 3rd party apps.

Ill have to reload my android os and try out some of the apps again and give you a list of wat ones dont work on a larger screen

no my point is I dont wanna be spending £500 on a device that will be stuck out dated and the only way I would be able to upgrade is by using unofficial updates,
The reason I didnt buy the n900 is because I notice the lack of support by nokia, but wasnt sure wat was happening with the actual maemo scene...Iv only had one android device but again Iv followed the android forums and so for most of the devices there seems to be some one asking when is a update due and 90% of the time with the reply is use an unofficial rom....So this is my view it feels like if I want to upgrade an android device I must buy a newer model...may this be to run new apps or just improvements to the overall device......Im not out to bash android......I do like the dell streak seems more hack able than the samsung......slightly off topic id love to see a ubuntu tablet
I generally agree with you, although I'm not sure that I prefer official upgrades, myself. I would tend to trust and prefer the CyanogenMod (and other open-source based Android distributions) over anything that the manufacturers put out because the official OS's tend to come laden with imposing software, limitations and (ironically) more bugs. I've found that the CyanogenMod people tend to do a FAR better job of quality-assurance and bug-fixes than Motorola for my Droid, in addition to being out far quicker and supported far, far longer than the manufacturer intended it to be supported.

I didn't think you were bashing, by the by, I'm just trying to offer corrections and provide my own experience since I've been in a very similar situation to yours--coming from the N800 and I didn't think my Motorola Droid was replacing it. Eventually, it did and I was pleasantly surprised by that but I didn't like that I was constantly draining my battery. I bought my Galaxy Tab as my N800 replacement and it's FAR better in every way except that I'd prefer full size SD cards.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

slightly off topic id love to see a ubuntu tablet
I totally agree with you. OH WAIT!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=962023

Also, you could try Samsung Galaxy Tab (or Nexus S) with natively running MeeGo (unlike the little Ubuntu + VNC hack above).

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/Hummingbir...ung_Galaxy_Tab

cheers will look up....lol Iv still got alot to learn

personally when I decided to go with the 810 because I wanted the "viewable in the sun" screen, I refused to pay a lot and found a good used one on ebay. I certainly would not have paid $200 for it. Most annoying is the number of apps that no longer work (Youtube app...twitter app...) Even the latest release of Firefox...n900 only. I do use it for the VOIP connection but ultimately I think I'll be going iPhone when I'm totally done with this.

And since no one is creating new apps for Maemo 4 you're basically stuck. The 900 will probably do you well but anything web dependent that decides to change authentication methods is simply a time bomb waiting to go off (like YouTube, Twitter...probably facebook) I'd mention more but there are no other apps available on Maemo 4 that I could mention.

Personally Id say if your looking for something with a long term outlook I'd say Andriod or iOS (possibly even Windows Phone 7)

*PS: much appreciation to the community SSU and the turbo Diablo people for the update. I wish they would fix some of the apps like Witter and Mauku so they'd work again and make a FB app and perhaps get us an updated Tear client with an updated WEBKIT. But that may be asking too much. lol
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
My first N800 also had a display problem after 2 years. I bought a second new N800 on eBay that I now use. When that one goes out I plan to buy a used N800. My NIT goes with me everywhere. It's on my desk at work and then at my side when I get home. I am sitting on my sofa watching wheel of fortune with my beautiful wife of 36 years as I type this. NITs rock!

Tags
android, n800replacement