Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I use Boingo extensively whilst traveling with my N810, the application (enter password etc once, then connect nicely) is very useful and allows an almost phone-like experience with the non-phone N810 over skype. I want the same on my N900 when it arrives.

The boingo site doesn't list the N900 as yet, unsurprisingly I suppose, but do any of the 300 use it? Anyone have any insight on whether the diablo application works on Maemo5 (I have my doubts, but one never knows).

Yes, I know I can ask Boingo. Have in fact. In the interests of public service, I'll let people know what they say here also.

The Following User Says Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
Yes, I know I can ask Boingo. Have in fact. In the interests of public service, I'll let people know what they say here also.
Please do. I asked three weeks ago, and I've yet to receive a reply.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Hi there,

Sorry that you haven't received a reply from Boingo re: the N900. Unfortunately, our software for Diablo does not work on Maemo5. The two OS's are quite different. You can, however, connect to Boingo through the web interface at any of our airports by using a Boingo Unlimited account.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,
Baochi Nguyen
bnguyen@boingo.com
Boingo Wireless

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baochi For This Useful Post:
The obvious question: is a Fremantle version coming?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Baochi View Post
Hi there,

Sorry that you haven't received a reply from Boingo re: the N900. Unfortunately, our software for Diablo does not work on Maemo5. The two OS's are quite different. You can, however, connect to Boingo through the web interface at any of our airports by using a Boingo Unlimited account.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,
Baochi Nguyen
bnguyen@boingo.com
Boingo Wireless
Forgive me if I'm wrong.. But... The problem with a Boingo Unlimited account is that it's a little more than 7.95 per month, no? That's what I pay for the boingo mobile account for unlimited *global* wireless... Boingo Unlimited is 9.95 for the Americas only, and up to 0.18c a minute for non-Americas extra.

A Boingo Global account is 59US a month!

Nope. Looks like I'll keep the N810 for wifi in airports thanks.

Yes, I know I can use the N900 as a tool, but wireless access costs money too. The Boingo Mobile is the most cost efficient and friendly service for me at this time.

The Following User Says Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The obvious question: is a Fremantle version coming?
Thanks, yes. This is what I really meant by my first post, convoluted as it was!

Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
Thanks, yes. This is what I really meant by my first post, convoluted as it was!
I just got a reply from Boingo Mobile Support. They confirm that a Fremantle version of their client is in the works and hopefully will be released by next Spring. They suggested to check over at http://labs.boingo.com. They can be reached at support-mobile@boingo.com.

--denis

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
I just got a reply from Boingo Mobile Support. They confirm that a Fremantle version of their client is in the works and hopefully will be released by next Spring. They suggested to check over at http://labs.boingo.com. They can be reached at support-mobile@boingo.com.

--denis
I just emailed them today to ask about that again....

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
I wrote them again on June the 11th, here's what they said:

"We apologize for the inconvenience. The client is not available for Nokia N900 yet. We've been working on developing a client for it. It will available soon in the future."

Sigh, who knows when? But by all means keep writing them to let them know that we need Boingo Mobile on our N900s!

--denis

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I just emailed them today to ask about that again....
Dear Mr. H

We do not currently support Boingo on the Maemo 5. We are working on a solution, but
do not have a delivery date.

Your case number for this query is 850291.

Thank you for your candid feedback; we truly appreciate it. We strive to bring our customers excellent Wi-Fi experiences, and we are grateful to you for giving us feedback that will help us continue to improve.

Warm regards,
Vicente R.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post: