Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Didn't you get the memo...?

Ever since the iPhone, high Tech specs are not the only way to sell high end mobile phones anymore.
Yep. Fart apps is how you do it now.

Seriously... I cannot get behind a Symbian phone as a "saviour" for Nokia when I know Maemo 5 was better and MeeGo is coming.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
In my opinion, N8 nor N9 can save NOKIA from their sin, only god can save them now.

Seriously, what can N8 do? and so called rumour N9? Both device looks terribly ugly. Seriously SYMBIAN will save NOKIA? Not even maemo5 could, what make people think Symbian will?

N9 has to be beyond iPhone4 in term of hardware(s) spec and Meego has to be on multi devices like HTC, Samsung, SONY to be able to catch up with the technology and market.
And what is the good of an OS without users or developers?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
In my opinion, N8 nor N9 can save NOKIA from their sin, only god can save them now.

Seriously, what can N8 do? and so called rumour N9? Both device looks terribly ugly. Seriously SYMBIAN will save NOKIA? Not even maemo5 could, what make people think Symbian will?

N9 has to be beyond iPhone4 in term of hardware(s) spec and Meego has to be on multi devices like HTC, Samsung, SONY to be able to catch up with the technology and market.
And what is the good of an OS without users or developers?
The so-called-leaked N9 photos looked pretty nice to me. Also, N9 should be every bit beyond iPhone4 in hardware.
iPhone 4 didn't break any new ground imo. I was disappointed at the specs. Infact, even N8 beats it in in many areas. (Camera, xenon flash, HDMI, microSD support, USB host, Bluetooth 3.0 etc) Not sure why everyone hates Symbian. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But yeah, it never took off in apps support like the other OS.That wasn't the fault of the "OS".

Maemo wasn't supposed to save Nokia. It was more like a side project really. (well, IMO)

But yeah, I hope MeeGo gets good apps / dvs. It better match Android at worst. My friend sold his Galaxy S and went to iPhone this week due to lack of apps on the Android. (yes, compared to iPhone, Android just doesn't have anywhere near as much)

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-09-09 at 04:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Nokia makes great hardware. Unfortunately for them everyone else has caught up. Aside from that, the reason they are losing out to the competition is the software. Symbian has hardly changed in the years since it was introduced. Maemo is a vastly superior operating system, yet Nokia fumbled it so badly that no one will remember it next year aside from a small group similar to those that remember Amiga. MeeGo has unlimited potential and maybe Intel will pull it up by it's bootstraps, but after seeing how Nokia handled Maemo it's really hard to believe that they won't fumble MeeGo into obscurity as well.

So no, the N8 won't save Nokia. The only thing that will is a radical restructuring of how they promote their devices, and how they develop their software. They need to spend LOTS of money getting their software and services on par with Google and Apple, and they need to spend the money to make sure that the OVI store has more than a handful of mostly useless apps on it. They cannot rely entirely on opensource community apps, as great as many of them are. They need to pay developers bounties, like Microsoft is doing for Windows Phone 7. Right now even that turd looks more promising because at least it's got some backing from companies that are actually in the software business.

For more than 10 years I used to pull really hard for Nokia, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I waste any more money testing their lame duck software for them. I feel sorry for the guy that paid almost retail for my n900.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Whoa whoa WHOA-- some of us analysts don't fit that description!
yep, those are the analysts who get ignored by default in media... didn't bother being more precise with it, sorry.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
and I really hope some people will get it some day: symbian is superb when you need to do budget phones. Meego would be overkill for N8 hw, android would be at least a bit laggy, .....

...and the masses don't care if you have "the best OS" or not. if it suits you, you are fine. it isn't any more complicated than this.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
That's why Android and iOS haven't managed to affect Symbian at all. People don't care if all that cash they dropped gets them the latest and greatest features or not, they just want to make phone calls!

*loses 30% market share between 2006 and 2010*

Last edited by ZShakespeare; 2010-09-09 at 06:16.

The N8 will save Nokia because most of the investors in nokia are americans and the N8 is an attempt at something very iphone-like (which is what the US investors have wanted for a long time).
The investors don't care about the technical stuff as much as we, the people of the internets, do. Satisfying/impressing the investors and the big analysts (like Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley) is pretty important.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Helsinki
Interesting yet annoying article in todays Helsingin Sanomat (Helsinki's main newspaper).

Some reviewer not reviewing the N8 but just comparing it to the iphone saying useful things like "I want to use the camera but I can't because the icon is in a different place to the iphone"!!!!

Well no sh_t jerkoff it is a different device! That is like giving a laptop a bad review because the on/off button is in a different place.

Great stuff. No wonder the title if the article is "N8 will not save Nokia"!!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tentpole View Post
The N8 will save Nokia because most of the investors in nokia are americans...
Care to show some proof?