Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
In theory, this move to a completely open source system is great news. But I swear I've only heard one shoe drop. So I'll keep listening...

I think the primary strength of Maemo is maemo.org, the community. There really seems to be no (amateur) community over at moblin.org, and I will be quite upset if we lose that in the merge.

But I'll talk about that more in the other thread.

The biggest technical problem for me is the move from Debian to Fedora...

Originally Posted by epage View Post
I was excited until I saw the move away from being a Debian based distribution. As a developer and Ubuntu user, I loved it. Now, I'm sad.

EDIT: I was also sad when Moblin made the switch.
Originally Posted by uljanow View Post
It doesn't matter which package format is used. But if MeeGo uses RPM it will be more fedora-centric which doesn't even support ARM as an official port. Debian however supported ARM for years and as a consequence it is more stable.
Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
If MeeGo is less debian-centric, what will happen to Easy-Debian?
It seems to me that Easy Debian will be even more useful in the MeeGo future, because Moblin and Fedora have historically had a tiny application list available for ARM processors. Up until very very recently, Fedora's ARM repositories could be charitably considered "experimental". Debian, on the other hand, pretty much compiled the entire Lenny distribution for ARM. Ubuntu got there with Karmic, too.

So, having access to the ARM-friendly Debian and Ubuntu repositories is going to become even more important as the primary system aligns with Intel-centric Fedora instead.

I will have to learn, like all the other hackers and developers who have been chasing the Maemo car around as it makes its sudden, wild turns, how to make packages for the new system, and how to deal with the numerous "eccentricities" that MeeGo (and the Maemo "instances" of MeeGo) will introduce. You just have to think of it as a steeplechase, and then it is fun again.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
One of the main reasons to purchase the N900 was to be Debian based.
I hope the community could push Mer as an alternative.
I hope that Mer switches to rpm too, so I could at least understand the package format and help a little more.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
In fact, I have been running PCLinuxOS, which as RPM based distro, for years and I still have *never* had any dependency issues. I cannot say the same thing for my escapades with Kubuntu.
That's the same experience as mine, as a long time mandriva user (as you know PCLinuxOs is derived from mandriva).
In fact I never understood the excitement about ubuntu (I tried it and I thought: wtf?)

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
[OT_to_answer_your_incorrect statement]
And by the way, PCLinuxOS is a community oriented distro
As is mandriva, which, btw, is planning an arm repository.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by gemi View Post
That would not be useful, since Redhat is mostly a server OS. They made the (in my opinion wise) decision to no longer offer a Home/Desktop version, so they can concentrate on the server business. This is one of the reasons their business still works well.
I also believe that that decision was correct. But having a mobile (base) distribution seems to be well in Redhat's interests. It's a case where they can sell support to world's biggest companies by just doing what they are currently doing. There is no end-user interaction in mobile OS market, nor such a diversity and good-support is heavily needed. Redhat can support both base system and kernel/hardware and is sure the best (and perhaps the only) company that can do that.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I hope that Mer switches to rpm too, so I could at least understand the package format and help a little more.
I truly hope not.

Right now (as far as i understand it) Mer is Debian/ARM combined with as much Maemo things as can be build OpenSource on top of it.

Which is a GOOD thing.

What I hope for is Canonical picking up Mer and supporting it to create a Debian based alternative to this madness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trbs For This Useful Post:
I think the primary strength of Maemo is maemo.org, the community. There really seems to be no (amateur) community over at moblin.org, and I will be quite upset if we lose that in the merge.
Agreed - I love the community here, I have faith however that we wont all take off after this, if anything things like this tend to spur people to become more Maemoee? (Yes its a word). I was lucky and went straight for Qt for my very tentative dev intro on this platform so I am hoping to get in on the ground floor for the new.

As far as the name. MeeGo, remember folks - you never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator. And I can only imagine that Nokia and Intel are hoping to capture the attention of as many LCD people as they can
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
http://meego.com/

Is that an N900.. on the front page??

This gives me some hope.

I hope...meego will apply at N900..if not, i kill myself N900 is new phone and if nokia and intel doesn´t able to aplly meego on n900, it kills this phone

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Intel designs and fabricates their hardware; they write the drivers and choose to open source them. Nokia does not manufacture hardware at the transistor level. They license IP and drivers from other manufacturers and are limited in what they can release to the community. I don't see MeeGo being as open as Moblin is, at least in terms of Nokia handsets. A community backport doesn't hold much promise.

On the debate over rpm/deb, the advantage that .deb holds over .rpm isn't the format, it's the tools that are used to build and manipulate .deb packages. Nothing handles dependencies (especially orphaned dependencies upon removal) as well as aptitude. Given Debian's ARMEL arch and Ubuntu's recent port, it just makes sense not to gut Maemo. It's not a personal vendetta against Red Hat's success.

I don't want to jump to conclusions so soon, but right now MeeGo looks more like a frankenstein creation than a deliberate collaboration.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Playing devil's advocate... what will people do if MeeGo doesn't make it to the N900? I mean, it is step 4 out of 5.

Just curious.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war