I bought an N810 last week (my first Internet Tablet) and I'd like to install Easy Debian Turbo but every time I try to install it I get the following error:

Unable to download easy-deb-chroot. Application package not found.

I'm new to Nokia Internet Tablets but am fairly savvy with computers and Nokia phones (I use an E90 as my primary device). However, while I have used Linux is several different flavors, I'm not much of a power user in Linux. What do I need to do to install this application? Thanks,

Mark

How are you trying to install, from the application manager or using apt-get? Did you add Qole's repo?

The Following User Says Thank You to D'ohboy For This Useful Post:
I just went to the maemo.org site, went to downloars, found the easy debian turbo app and clicked the green download arrow. then I clicked open on the file download dialog box and app manager opened. I don't know what Qole's repo is or how it's used.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 2009-02-26 at 05:45.

So Qole is the creator of easy-debian.
1. Are you running diablo on your tablet? Go to About product in the control panel to find the version number, it should be something like 5.2008.43-7. I think you need to be running diablo for easy-debian.
2. Qole's repository is where we will get all the parts of easy-debian. So to add Qole's repo we first go to the Settings menu then Application manager. In application manager go to the menu, go to Tools, then select Application catalog. Then when the window pops up go to New. It will pop up another window add this:
Catalogue Name: Qole
Web address: http://qole.maemobox.org/repository
Distribution: maemo
Components: main
Then press OK.
Then Close the other window and it should go
Checking for updates, Please wait
Then, you go to Browse installable applications, and install easy-deb-chroot, it will install some suff. After that you go to the recently installed Debian Image Installer and it will install the debian image you need on a memory card. This take some time to download and decompress so just wait. It will then pop up a window and that should be it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D'ohboy For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the help; I updated my N810 to the latest firmware and was then able to install easy debian turbo. however, when I try to run it I get the following error message:

Mount failure

and then it lists the path to my external microSD card. What do I need to do now?

Mark

So dumb question, do you have a card in the external sd slot, is it flaky? Do you end up with an debian ext2 image on your external card around 1.1gb in size? If you need more help go the the thread for easy-debian here where Qole can help you get set up.

The Following User Says Thank You to D'ohboy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's OK, I can help here too

Well, I could, if I knew what was wrong...

The fact you're getting "mount failure" as an error suggests to me you're using my newest version of easy-chroot, the one I uploaded last night.*

Welcome to the "beta tester" fold!

Can you tell me: what does the error say AFTER the path to your external card? It should say something like, "failed to mount on ..." What does it fail to mount on?

*I'm trying to make the error-checking more rigorous and the error messages more meaningful. This problem should help me with the "more meaningful" part, I'd say...

Last edited by qole; 2009-02-27 at 00:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, new version of easy-chroot uploaded. In the App Manager, check for updates and hit the little refresh button in the bottom right corner.

This version should give you a descriptive error.

I have a 16 gig microSD card w/adapter inserted into the miniSD slot. It appears to be working as I can read and write from the card. The exact error states:

EZ-CHROOT ERROR

Mount failure!

/media/mmc1/debian-final.img.ext2 failed to mount on loop 1

Mark

Mark:

Please update easy-chroot as I described in the post above yours, reboot the tablet (power off and power on) and then try again. It should give you a useful, descriptive error.

But my preliminary guess here is that you might have a corrupt image file. Not sure how that happened unless, like D'ohboy suggested, you have a flaky SD card. I assume your installer gave you a "Congratulations" message, not an "ERROR ERROR ERROR" message, of course