Hi guys,

Been using N900 since pr1.1, currently on pr1.3.

Any one else kind of frustrated at how poorly voice calls seem to be handled? I'm talking about 2 specific scenarios that happen to me quite frequently:

1. The "turn control" doesn't really seem to work. I carry my phone in a pouch in my pocket, every time I hear it ring I pull it out from my pocket, remove it from the pouch, then look at the screen and have to "wait" for it to "turn" to whatever orientation it needs to be based on the accelorometer so I can tap the "accept" button. Any idea why this is so slow? To be honest, I've never used a phone where I've had to consciously be aware of what I'm doing just to answer it.

2. Very frequently I'm unaware that someone has tried to phone me and when I open my phone I see "Missed call" dialogs. I'm talking actively having the phone in my pocket and not even feeling the vibration or hearing a ring, just immediately "Missed call". I thought for a while I'm just imagining things but today, although this is purely anecdotal, had a scenario where I know for sure it happened as I was waiting for a specific call to come through and after 30 mins of waiting took out my phone to call back, noticing a missed call. To me this is not very cool

Anyone experiencing the same, or have any tips to improve the voice call-handing experience from an end-user point of view?

I read the change logs and apparently point 1 above was supposed to be addressed in the new pr1.3 update, remember reading something about usability enhancements made in this update, unfortunately I'm not experiencing them.

1. only sure-fire solution is to disable turning contol and leave in landscape mode.

2. are you perhaps on a 2G signal with data connection active when this happens? if so, it may be at least partly a network issue. you could get someone to call you with your data on/off to see if it is a factor

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
mohammadAG's fix for this worked for me on pr1.2 but i dont know if it is available for pr1.3

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah i hate that. grab phone to see who is calling and you just get a blank screen. what's the use case for that?
1) user receives incoming call notification
2) user picks up phone to see who is calling
3) determine if user tilted phone in any direction. blank screen as punishment.
4) if they tried to press any button, just ignore that for a moment... move all the buttons...
5) okay, if the call didn't disconnect yet, grab that keypress event from earlier and apply it to either answer or disconnect the call before they can read the call display.
???
seriously, this phone should have come with a punching bag or something.