Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Tim, thanks for this thread and the other two similar ones. You've obviously spent quite some time mocking up those pictures. I worry that them "living" in a forum post might mean they get buried and forgotten about. Can you attach them to individual Brainstorms or bug reports?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by postformac View Post
Surely with how it is now, in whichever orientation you hold the phone, the arrows pointing in towards you physically are calls coming in to you and the arrows pointing out away from you are calls going...... er, out from you?
good point,

Someone already mentioned this, but on point 2.b clearly the arrows follow the rather widely spread computer world orientation, down is to you (download/down*) and up is from you (upload/up*)

2.h is a no from me, just unlocking the device makes more sense than launching phone, though personally I have no need for that either and it might lead to accidental unlocks in my pocket.

2.i is again no, this is how alarms have always worked in all my phones.. I'd hate to not wake up in the morning because I left the phone silent.

Of course all these could be suited to fit both needs with related options.. Otherwise most points seem good, especially all the search functions and call details.

The Following User Says Thank You to low life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
1. PIM lacking
a. add description to tasks
YES. Full ack.

b. add a Category field
For now I'm using different calendars for kind of category but this is quite unhandy. Even the possibility to switch every single calendar on/off is a fine solution. Better would be having real categories (don't have to be taken from Outlook, I mean for synchronising there should be toool converting stuff from N900 to whatever-pim-used-on-desktop) and a handy filter for selecting/disabling some of of them.

c. add search to PIM
d. add search to notes
e. add search to tasks
f. add search to contacts (all fields including numbers not just name)
There cannot be too much search functionality.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
2. Phone
a. show call duration on call history list.
Very useful.

Could be enhanced by a roughly calculated cost estimation. You enter the basic costs for a call (e.g. 9 Ct/min) and an interval like 60/60 or 60/1 and get the estimated costs.
Just an idea.

b. reorient incoming and outgoing call arrows (looking at the arrows I can't tell which is in and out)
The arrows might be preceeded with a phone symbol. So you definitely know whether it is incoming or outgoing. Would make it more clear than a single arrow pointing to any direction.

c. provide call details on “select and hold” (duration, number called, date, type of call, etc)
j. When clicking a contact in call history add Call Details button
Yes, you can never have enough details of such actions.

k. When clicking a contact in call history display number called in an editable text field (allow editing and re dialling using dial out options like Skype SIP Cell etc.
Oh yes. Sometimes you call a number in an office and the persons just tells you "no, the man you wanted to call has 456 not 654". Just editing a probably long number would be very nice!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
3. messaging lacking
b. search function to search conversations.
c. delayed send SMS
Just as I said before: you cannot have to much search functionality.

Delayed sending of SMS is what I also missed on my E90 running S60. Birthday-greetings at midnight, reminders for some special events etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
Keep up the excellent work TimWatt. Don't let the kiss @sses try to quell your desire to elicit change and improvements. I don't know why so many people get so bent whenever someone goes to the trouble of being critical, pointing out flaws or oversignts, because it's clearly a sign that you care, not that you don't. Who would bother if they didn't care?

Anyway, I'm very appreciative of what you did. And I agree with you.

I must confess, I really really wanted to get the N900, as I have an N810, but I can't be tied to T-Mobile or ATT or whatever. Nokia really needs to come out with a phone that's suitable for multiple carriers in the US if it's supposed to be a higher end phone. I'd say that's the biggest hindrance of them all, that it's T-Mobile only in the US.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikit For This Useful Post:
2. Phone
a. show call duration on call history list.
b. reorient incoming and outgoing call arrows (looking at the arrows I can't tell which is in and out)
The arrows, as you show them, are inverted. The "in" arrows shows that the call was made "to" the unknown number.

I'm starting to miss android

Why? And how is it related to this thread?