Notices

A completely new version of Currency Converter has been released in Ovi Store. The old free version is still available in Maemo Extras repository. So what is the deal with this commercial version in Ovi Store?

When I originally started this project, it was only for my personal needs. Later I got some requests if I could publish it. So I did a version for Maemo Extras. To my surprise, it proved to be fairly popular. As the user base increased, so did the requests for new currencies to be added and other improvements. However, I quickly ran into some practical problems.

If I wanted to offer more reliable update services for the exchange rates, I needed more control. Basically I needed my own servers. Furthermore, having exchange rates for anything else than the most commonly used currencies was not going to be free of charge. It was immediately apparent that I could not cover these expenses with voluntary donations.

Hence, I entered into partnership with internet-content.net. They gave me the necessary web and database servers. Obviously they were not going to give me them for free, so we agreed to sell the app in Ovi Store. After all, we all would like to eat time to time.

As for the price point, we chose the lowest available in Ovi Store, which is in most European countries € 1. This is less than an ice cream (substantially less compared to the ice cream portions I usually get ), so it should not too expensive for anyone. We hope the volumes are enough to cover the costs.

The app itself has gone trough a major overhaul. Not only are there now more than 150 currencies, but the entire database engine has been changed to a much more efficient one. Also there is a greatly improved UI. Furthermore, portrait mode is now supported.

For all those who supported me with voluntary donations, I would like to thank you. Your donations are really appreciated. I also think the least I could do for you, is send you a free copy of this new version. Please contact me if you donated for this app and I will send you one. Also please use the same name as you used for the PayPal donation, so that I can verify it. Not that I don’t trust you, but hey, this is the internet…

More information available in IC Mobile site.

Currency Converter Ovi Store link.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Congrats on getting your application into the Ovi Store (though the store needs to be vastly improved). And thanks for keeping the free working version in Maemo Extras.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Love your app....have been utilizing it for two months abroad now. Will gladly buy the paid version in a few minutes just for the portrait support...

Do I have to uninstall the previous version first? Will the new one over-write the old one?

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattyparanoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mattyparanoid View Post
Love your app....have been utilizing it for two months abroad now. Will gladly buy the paid version in a few minutes just for the portrait support...

Do I have to uninstall the previous version first? Will the new one over-write the old one?

Thanks.
It should be able to update it, so there is no need to uninstall it. But let me know if there are any problems.

Oh, and thanks

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
It should be able to update it, so there is no need to uninstall it. But let me know if there are any problems.

Oh, and thanks
Update works just fine ;-)

Thanks for this fine and useful app!!!

Free version would have been enough for me, but supporting development for our N900 must be worth such an investment

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
why would i pay for a currency converter

Originally Posted by crisismt View Post
why would i pay for a currency converter
So that I can eat

But seriously, if you do not find it useful then no one is forcing you to buy it.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Thank you for the new version. Looks and works very good.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

Last edited by inidrog; 2010-07-27 at 08:43.

This is a great app and I also spent the money to upgrade to the new version.

The only problem I have so far is that portrait mode is only working if I start in landscape mode and then turn the phone to portrait. Turning the phone to portrait mode before starting currency converter opens the app in landscape mode.

I do not have this problem with other apps like the biuld in browser.

I have one question, what if the server is shutdown, will the app automatically pull currency data from somewhere else (for example from where the free version get the data)?