Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Mara- Sounds like you are really enjoying the new OS2008, even on the N800 hardware (or do you also have an N810?). Its a shame, really, that only now as it reaches the end of its life does the N800 reach its true potential, and what we all kinda wanted it to be able to do all along.

If you do have both, which do you find yourself using more these days? Is the slide-out keyboard a real improvement for you?
No, I do not have N810. Even all my N800's and 770 (which I gave to my sister in law...) I bought using my own hard earned $$$. I just happen to have access to the IT development files...

Originally Posted by luca View Post
I'm not interested in windows shares, does it support nfs out of the box?
And does the wifi driver finally support packet injection?
That I do not know... Not being a linux geek... may I ask how could I (easily) test that?

SMB support is a huge huge plus in my book! I have a nice NAS that I'd love to access on my tablet. The N810 is more and more tempting to me everyday. Always wanted a hardware keyboard built in for Pidgin.

SMB Support would be so great.
But SpeedStepping would be great too, because watching xvid would be quite smoother.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
That I do not know... Not being a linux geek... may I ask how could I (easily) test that?
If you can open an xterm, check that the file /proc/filesystems (cat /proc/filesystems) has the line nfs (and/or nfs4).

and if that fails check that the result of

find /mnt/initfs/lib/module

has nfs.ko

luca: It doesn't look like the nfs-support is built in...

Well, that's no different than the current situation
I hope that fanoush updates his collection of modules for OS2008, or I'll have to compile the kernel myself.

SMB, NFS and CIFS support are things that you can do with the n800, but which require some knowledge/work (and, just to make things fun, I'll point out that the "how-to" guides available include obvious syntax errors that will kill all non-geeks). It's a natural extension of the Maemo platform to include them.

Saying "it's an internet tablet" only works when you're explaining uses for it, or high-cost design decisions. So, it makes sense, and is laudable that they do it this way.

So good job, and way to go.

As for Wayfinder, look: this is a third-party compnay. Nokia has contracts with them. To make their software available to n800 owners is a different story, especially since they sell their product to n800 owners according to a different schedule (also negotiated via contract with Nokia). In short, while we might have difficulty understanding it, it's because it's complicated, and as such, the "best solution" may not be contractually permissible.

I too am interested in how well microb works in OS2008. I have expressed my gripes about paging already, but the other day I did some more testing on microb on my N800 (haven't used it in a while). I visited a whole bunch of pages with opera and microb, first one and then the other. What I found was that microb apparently uses a lot more memory, so much so that several times applications would shut down because of lack of memory. This has _never_ happened for me with Opera, ever. I'm used to keep several instances of Opera open at the same time, with the current version of Microb this doesn't seem possible, in practice. And it even seemed to eat more memory the longer it stayed up (in this it's exactly as the desktop Firefox and friends..).