Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
For what it's worth, the latest version of FBReader (0.10.7) is now in Fremantle extras-devel (http://bit.ly/unUkI). No Fremantle specific changes are made though... (The Fremantle Stars page is updated as well.)

Last edited by MishaS; 2009-06-12 at 18:13.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MishaS For This Useful Post:
Great! I hope that you could move libzlibrary out of "user/libs" category, for example to "libs". This way it won't be visible in application manager.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Great! I hope that you could move libzlibrary out of "user/libs" category, for example to "libs". This way it won't be visible in application manager.
The "problem" is that some users cannot really install FBReader from a repository, so they download the necessary package manually and then install them one by one. If you know a way how to keep both scenarios working, I'd appreciate a hint Until then libzlibrary will stick to user/something... Sorry.

Personally I wouldn't support those users, but it's clearly your choice.

I really don't know what libzlibrary is about or if there is any other application using it. If it's strictly only for fbreader you could make only one package?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
if they download libzlibrary directly they don't care about the category (user/* or something else); they just download the deb and install it (I don't think the Application Manager checks the category from local file ?)

So what does prevnet you from changing the category for this lib ?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
Until then libzlibrary will stick to user/something... Sorry.
Libraries cannot go in user/*. By choosing to do this you're impacting the likelihood of Nokia shipping Fremantle with Extras enabled. Do you really want to do this to support an extreme edge-case of users? Either way, this is really a non-negotiable guideline. Libraries don't go in user/*. End of story.

These users are more than adequately supported by apt-get.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
The "problem" is that some users cannot really install FBReader from a repository, so they download the necessary package manually and then install them one by one.
Is this about FBReader in other platforms? It is fair to assume that all Maemo users can install applications with the Application Manager, and there they don't need to have the libraries visible.

Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
if they download libzlibrary directly they don't care about the category (user/* or something else); they just download the deb and install it (I don't think the Application Manager checks the category from local file ?)

So what does prevnet you from changing the category for this lib ?
That's exactly what happens: users do not care, but the application manager does So that's the application manager that prevents the change.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Is this about FBReader in other platforms? It is fair to assume that all Maemo users can install applications with the Application Manager, and there they don't need to have the libraries visible.
No, this particular change is specific for Maemo. Just to make this offline scenario working.

For desktop (Debian), the sections are 'text' & 'libs' (as proposed by one of the debian developers).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Libraries cannot go in user/*. By choosing to do this you're impacting the likelihood of Nokia shipping Fremantle with Extras enabled. Do you really want to do this to support an extreme edge-case of users? Either way, this is really a non-negotiable guideline. Libraries don't go in user/*. End of story.
If a particular limitiation (for local packages) is not fixed in application manager, this might be the end of story of FBReader in extras

These users are more than adequately supported by apt-get.
I would say that only quite specific users can be adequately supported by apt-get. And the reason why the section is user/* is because we need to support other users as well.

Any suggestions how to make this happen otherwise, are more than welcome.

Tags
extras-devel, fbreader, fremantle