Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I think that it would be a good opportunity for developers to port Sailfish to Android devices. The folks that set up a Jelly Bean image to install on the Nook tablet did a nice job. Much better than the Nooks android OS. Of course, you could now download any app from google play using the Jelly Bean OS- which was not allowed on the Nook OS at the time. They charged about $30 to do it. Basically you would boot up Jellybean from a micro sd and you could choose which OS you wanted to use. Here is a link.

https://www.n2acards.com/

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
...and in summer.
We would have had launch party in summer if the phone would have launched in time.
Lets hope summer released happens for this possible second phone.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
The timelines in this thread are unrealistic... even given the relationships that Jolla has already made public. Future for them means they are 2 steps ahead, and one of those steps has nothing to do with a device.

Licensing
- can work for SailfishOS if they do something that integrates TOH; pretty much is nothing more than a RedHat for Mobile if they went without it
- has limited usefulness in a Cyogenmod like capacity - giving existing Android owners a path to a different UX. Makes more sense to pitch that as an option to Android OEMs who are part of the Open Handset Alliance - those who are can't do use this without breaking that agreement
- has potential usages in automotive and other verticals where the security of Android is questioned or, the flexibility of other embedded platforms has diminished where more is needed but there's in-house ability to manage from there

Devices
- the second phone is already locked-in in terms of specs; that is, unless Jolla is using one of those really nice companies who have folks who see rumored images and pump out a working mobile in less than 3 months (there are a few).
- there's likely a workstation-like device in the plans, and probably a piece of wearable tech; there are holes in these avenues, primarily in respect to how the unique IP of Jolla (TOH, customization, etc) makes sense with these; that said, I'd pay attention to their experiments more than their communication

Future
- there are more questions than answers only because we are looking at what's been done before, and asking when Jolla will do the same. If their modus operandi (#unlike) were to be taken literally, I'd look at not how their platform enables the niche open source actions, but how it disrupts the pace of development and the responses to regional consumer opportunities... in plain language, watch their shoulders, not their legs.
- watch how niche open source developers help Jolla make a wave forward in development tools. I'd like to say I see Jolla bringing a few along with them, without acquisition. Tizen's action will influence this space too. If Tizen enables bigger reach with as much work, Jolla will have to parlay #unlike as more than just niche passion
- I don't know that it will matter for more than the next 12mos about Android compatibility if they can make the native apps argument. That said, Google's change to ART will help Jolla's position. The more of the Android experience that gets tied to the Play Store, the more likely the Open Handset Alliance looks like Google and the Disciples.

Those are my thoughts so far. But, hey, what do I know

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
Jolla is too small of an entity to pump (tens of) millions of phones into markets; and from what we know, they don't have the investments to run as is for x years. Nor do they have the cash for multinational marketing campaigns to build demand.

Considering all of this, I would suspect the actual Jolla Phone to be sort of a Nexus-like device - not in specs, but as a vanilla flagship for what can be done by others. Sell several thousand to the rabid followers. Produce one per year as the OS and Other Half possibilities mature. As mentioned, the proof of concept phone.

The play then is to have manufacturers and/or carriers license Sailfish and produce the devices, and distribute them. This is the only way I can see Jolla surviving.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Nobody talked about Windows Phone 8. Ste-phan compared the desktop OS situation (millions of people pay for Windows 8) so it shouldn't be thought as outrageous to pay for a phone OS.
Thanks for the correction - hmm, this was moved to OT?

Anyway, biggest reason why folks (read: companies) purchased Windows 8 was mainly because of Microsoft Office. As a prior NeoOffice/J user (OS X), I can tell you that its compatibility mode isn't perfect with the Windows users. Not at all.

In my house, it's either OS X or Linux. I run Windows only via VM.

But I will say this... it's due time we start treating our phones like our computers. Let's put on there what we damn well please. Sailfish accomplishes this before the others, they might be onto something.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Thanks for the correction - hmm, this was moved to OT?

Anyway, biggest reason why folks (read: companies) purchased Windows 8 was mainly because of Microsoft Office. As a prior NeoOffice/J user (OS X), I can tell you that its compatibility mode isn't perfect with the Windows users. Not at all.

In my house, it's either OS X or Linux. I run Windows only via VM.

But I will say this... it's due time we start treating our phones like our computers. Let's put on there what we damn well please. Sailfish accomplishes this before the others, they might be onto something.
Intressting question. Why when will jolla star selling their device on the Web.?

Do they serve all current preorders before they can decided on another batch or will they don't seel the device anymore and instead have another device ready for presentation Soon.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Here's the worst case scenario:

1. The jolla phone sells, but not enough to support 80 employees
2. Jolla move away from hardware and enable sailfish to run on android.
3. sailfish appears in google app/play store as a download for $5
4. jolla's main competitor ends up being the guys who write android launcher plus pro (or whatever)
5. everybody learns a valuable lesson. whatever that is.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
Here's the worst case scenario:

1. The jolla phone sells, but not enough to support 80 employees
2. Jolla move away from hardware and enable sailfish to run on android.
3. sailfish appears in google app/play store as a download for $5
4. jolla's main competitor ends up being the guys who write android launcher plus pro (or whatever)
5. everybody learns a valuable lesson. whatever that is.
That's not the worst I can think of any way lets hope it won't happen anyway

Report: Windows Phone, Windows RT May be Offered Free to OEMs

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Wind...ticle33911.htm

I guess this would affect Jolla's plans to license sailfish to OEMs.

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
Report: Windows Phone, Windows RT May be Offered Free to OEMs

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Wind...ticle33911.htm

I guess this would affect Jolla's plans to license sailfish to OEMs.
It will definitely be harder in 1 year than now so if jolla will find any partners it must be now.

Tags
jolla, speculation