Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by RinoG View Post
Hi everyone!
N900/Maemo newbie here!
That's my first attempt with a tablet and the Nth with linux (based) os... i hope that would be love!

Great community, i think the only one for techincal questions, hope to learn a lot but also to give my help.

Cheers!
Cheers, RingoG.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Opticalillusion View Post
Just registered! Hello all
Welcome, Optic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Hello everybody!

Ordered my N900 last wednesday. Got it this morning!

The Following User Says Thank You to Maurizio For This Useful Post:
hi ... first time with a n900 .... shopping for a new phone and n900 is on top of my list
i have a n95 now and i'm quite happy with it: love the voip integration (it saved me hundreds per month in international calls and roaming) ,,, a have sygic as navigator (it's good), camera is good and opera handles the internet quite well

now ... i'd love a keyboard and a wider screen ... so i think i should upgrade to an n900 or n97 mini

i had an iphone, loved the looks, but it was useless when i had to do something a bit more serios ... more ... first fall and the screen was done ...

n900 is so open to new thing, exciting .... but ... to be honest ... keyboard is difficult and a does not look too robust ... you get the feeling that it will break at some point

os is fast ... but i don't think the battery can handle the phone for too longm phone options are too limited, navigation is lacking ... it really needs a serious software upgrade

maybe n97 is the safe bet for the moment

what do you guys think?

The Following User Says Thank You to jean2323 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oklahoma
Hello everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to AHefner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Blackpool
Hello all from sunny Blackpool in the UK.

This 'ere N900 is awesome so far! Well worth all the frustration ordering.

The Following User Says Thank You to ericdviking For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Greetings everyone!

I'm in Saltair, Canada (that's on Vancouver Island). I got my N900 on Monday, so I've had it less than a week.

So far my impression is there is much to LOVE about this device and much to be frustrated about too. The hardware is outstanding, but the Phone/PDA/PIM apps lack global integration and consistency.

My main drivers to get the N900 were (a) my Palm Pilot died awhile ago and I really loved/used my Palm Pilot, (b) my Sony Ericsson has truly pathetic PDA/PIM apps, (c) my Sansa Fuze media player is awesome, but it's just another device to carry around and keep charged, (d) my Garmin GPS is great for kayaking (it floats), but it's rather bulky for general walking around--and it uses a lot of power, (e) my DSLR is a great camera, but also too bulky for general walking around.

So I decided it was finally time (and it should now be feasbible) to get an all-in-one PDA/media player/camera/phone/GPS.

KUDOS SO FAR: Amazing display! Surprisingly solid and useable little keyboard. Always connects and syncs via Bluetooth with my Outlook via Nokia PC Sync. The Media Player actually finds all my Win7 media on all my other machines on my LAN--I really did NOT expect that! Fewer dropped/missed calls than with the Sony Ericsson (I'm on Fido).

GRIPES SO FAR: Maps needs a data connection--why can't I just download the North America maps once, like my Garmin? Dynamic web pages, like Google maps, are a nuisance because the address bar keeps popping up. No speed dial feature--I have to search for my VoiceMail number (or maybe I just haven't figured this out yet). Call history doesn't give me call duration. The documentation is poor, leaves far too many unanswered questions.

Cheers!

Brad

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Hey
Loving my new Nokia N900!
This seems like a great forum too!
Going from the E90 to the E71 to the N900 has been a great learning curve....the main reason for the move has been the lack of decent Web functionality on S60 devices (v3)....frankly the E71 comes no where near to the N900 in terms of Web use and social networking ability. And whilst there are a lack of apps....what is available is GREAT for most people and does the job perfectly...

Particularly fond of the share function with pictures to Facebook...very good!

It would have been good if they had changed the menu layout and icons to something a little more funky, but I guess that will come with time.

Great device...this is day number 2 and I'm liking it.....but am NO WHERE near using the device to it's full potential...am looking forward to a new "wow" each and every day!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Raj For This Useful Post:
Hello everyone, enjoying every moment with this beast.

The Following User Says Thank You to Giostz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Hi just joined maemo forum and soon to be family ordered my nokia n900 from amazon today cause it said will be in stock dec 16th so I next day shipped it too so hopefully friday I will have it. Will be using it on tmobile unlimited everything plan. Right now I have the sprint htc touch pro 2 and like it one of the best phones I ever own and used been using htc for years but now its time for a change cause windows mobile as of late have been letting me down and after seeing the n900 in acting im ready to make the jump to the next level of the mobile game glad to be aboard cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hotshot For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org