Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, several. None is easy except forgetting OS2008.
I think I'll just go back to OS2007 for now. Thanks for your help!

Not sure why you are asking but yes, it is very likely. They update it even with minor OS updates. However it is not permanent, firmware is loaded at runtime to WLAN chip when you connect to network so you can safely reflash older firmwares.
I was thinking that OS2007 may be expecting an older version of the WLAN firmware.

I am more familiar with embedded systems where the firmware may only be loaded and fixed in place once, not at runtime. Please pardon my lack of intimate knowledge of the internal software architecture of the IT...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
I was thinking that OS2007 may be expecting an older version of the WLAN firmware.
Yes this is true, more correctly it simply expects specific older kernel (2.6.18) with specific version of wlan driver which uses specific firmware. This means it does not work with newer kernel and driver but you can safely go back to using older kernel with older driver (and older firmware).

Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
I am more familiar with embedded systems where the firmware may only be loaded and fixed in place once, not at runtime.
I was surprised too, but it looks like nowadays this is widely used since it is cheaper (i.e. there is no flash memory on the chip) and easier to upgrade. Also since you load specific firmware yourself, you can in theory customize your driver to specific version of the firmware and do not need to bloat it with workarounds for multiple firmwares (if you always distribute it together and it makes sense)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Yes, I have seen that in newer WLAN and even Bluetooth chipsets. Do you happen to know what WLAN chipset is used in the N800/810?

Google for STLC4370 (770) and STLC4550 (N800 and N810) the whole driver is called CX3110x so google for that too, it is made by Conexant and perhaps uses one of those two STLC parts.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

I have updated initfs_flasher for latest 1.2007.44-4 OS2008 beta for N800. Surprisingly there was change in initfs between weeks 42 and 44.

I am not sure about that slightly updated N810 one (.42-18 vs .42-19) but since week number is same it should work, anyone tried?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ La Pêche, Québec, Canada
I have updated initfs_flasher for latest 1.2007.44-4 OS2008 beta for N800. Surprisingly there was change in initfs between weeks 42 and 44.
I just tried your updated initfs_flasher with the OS2008 beta for N800. Everything went fine, except that the keys do not work when I get to the boot selection menu. This looks very much like the problem on the first few releases of OS2007 on N800.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Robert B.

Originally Posted by roblynn View Post
Everything went fine, except that the keys do not work when I get to the boot selection menu.
This happens always or only sometimes? Is it same after reboot and after power on (i.e device was off with no charger connected)? Do you hold menu key on boot or have root device set to include 'ask' and just wait for menu without touching anything?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ La Pêche, Québec, Canada
This happens always or only sometimes? Is it same after reboot and after power on (i.e device was off with no charger connected)? Do you hold menu key on boot or have root device set to include 'ask' and just wait for menu without touching anything?
So far it happens always, and it is the same after a reboot or after a power on. I use the hold menu key on boot (but only when the message appears). At that point the boot menu appears and removing the battery is the only thing I can do to recover.

I have not tried the 'ask' facility yet -- I was hoping to use the menu the same way as I was using it on OS2007.

I'll re-run the initfs setup script first (to remove the USB facility), and try it again. If that does not work, I'll give the 'ask' facility a go and report back.

Thanks!

Robert B.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Would it be possible to have bootmenu be able to boot images on mmc cards?

For example, a 1.5GB file sitting on vfat. mount the 1.5GB file as boot drive.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/mmc1/EXT2.img bs=1500000000 count=1

mkfs.ext2 /media/mmc1/EXT2.img

mount the file and copy the flash to it.

Would this be possible to boot from, I am not sure if it could be done because it needs to mount the vfat somewhere to have access to the file.

Fanoush? Any thoughts?