It's possible to install openssh and use something like rsync or whatever over a jailbroken device. not sure if that updates the music library though since the music database is created by iTunes

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
This is not true. E-music has no DRM. I can play music that I purchase there on any number of devices. I don't know why people think Apple stuff is so great. It is completely crippled with DRM. Brainwashed into thinking 5 devices is somehow a good deal.
It is very new that Emi stopped using DRM. So i suppose that your e-music service with no DRM is very new too.

And it is still quite new that Apple removed any DRM from the music sold on iTunes store. Now, you can copy it without limitations too. If I remember correctly, Apple was very very involved in convincing Music Majors companies to let go DRM ... There even was an open letter from Jobs who criticized very much the DRM system ...

But there is still a DRM limitation for the applications : you can only install your apps on 5 devices.

Last edited by totololo; 2009-07-05 at 17:22.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
You'll want to amend this to say that you cannot move music between computers (other than purchased music) without the use of third party software. Something any user of the IT can complain about since most all the good stuff here is third party.
On a Mac, Apple+K, connect to another machine, move your files in your network. I do it all of the time. From Mac to Windows, from Windows to Mac, from either to Linux, mostly via Samba or even removable drives.

Originally Posted by totololo View Post
You can easilly copy any music you compressed in iTunes from a CD, just by a click-drag ... and the the copied file can be transfered to any computer, and played by any player able to read M4A files. but it's true the iPods&iPhones cannot be used for the transfer
Again, there are third party software that can transfer music from an iPod to any other computer. Since the iPod can be used as an external HD it is trivial to keep copies of said programs on the iPod for such purposes.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Amazon.com MP3 - DRM Free music...I love it!

Jesse~

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
Amazon.com MP3 - DRM Free music...I love it!
Too bad they sometimes require that Amazon MP3 Downloader software... which would be 3rd Party software as well.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Too bad they sometimes require that Amazon MP3 Downloader software... which would be 3rd Party software as well.
They don't require it. But without it, it's harder to download full albums. They have download instructions when you don't want to use the downloader.
Anyway, the downloader software is available for (x86-)Linux and works really well.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
They don't require it. But without it, it's harder to download full albums. They have download instructions when you don't want to use the downloader.
Anyway, the downloader software is available for (x86-)Linux and works really well.
You are absolutely right. Its not strictly needed like Apple's iTunes.
I use the Linux version and it works perfectly.

But one of my wishes has always been to have a Amazon app for the Nokia Maemo. That way we could buy ( albums) directly and also play it from the player. Of course some have earlier suggested a web browser - but it doesn't cut it.

Amazon has tied up with Apple, Palm for the WebOS and Android as well for an Amazon app on all these devices. If only Maemo would have an app too. Again its audience is limited to only people who buy from Amazon, so its a limited demand.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
my foray into windows was mercifully brief; the device is now updated with firmware 3.0 and jailbroken and mplayer is installed; doesn't seem to play videos for some reason but at least the device is under my total control (to be read with evil laugh, mwa, ha ha. eight meelion kilobytes!!)

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
It is very new that Emi stopped using DRM. So i suppose that your e-music service with no DRM is very new too.
"The groundbreaking digital music retailer was one of the first to sell DRM-free music in the popular MP3 format beginning in 1998 and became the first service to sell audiobooks in MP3 in 2007". from the emusic website
iTunes began in 2001 and has only recently begun selling DRM free music.