Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Something weird has happened with my batter charge. Ever since I got the n900 I have had to charge it every day. Usually it lasts 24 hours, sometimes only 8-10 hours, and if I am using it near a plug, I tend to leave it connected to the charger. I let it discharge every week or two, then leave it to charge fully. Yesterday morning it was due to be plugged in - but was still nearly fully charged. This morning, still on green. This evening, it is just about down to the red. That's the best part of three days. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary - I haven't downloaded anything I can think of. Weird. This is what I would have hoped for with a battery - but it has never gone this long before.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
Something weird has happened with my batter charge. Ever since I got the n900 I have had to charge it every day. Usually it lasts 24 hours, sometimes only 8-10 hours, and if I am using it near a plug, I tend to leave it connected to the charger. I let it discharge every week or two, then leave it to charge fully. Yesterday morning it was due to be plugged in - but was still nearly fully charged. This morning, still on green. This evening, it is just about down to the red. That's the best part of three days. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary - I haven't downloaded anything I can think of. Weird. This is what I would have hoped for with a battery - but it has never gone this long before.
Firstly, how old is your battery? Could be time for a change???

You may find some other threads talking about checking CPU consumption and battery usage. Also, you could install BatteryGraph to see what's draining the battery.

But basically, if you run PR1.3, with wifi on 24/7, battery life could drain within 1-2 days. From my experience, GPS tends to consume battery life - so, turn off GPS applications if not in use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ahmedabad, India
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
It really depends as to how many apps/widgets u r running on ur N900. a lot of them consume more power.. check few sites mentioned below to help increase battery life on your N900

http://www.techiecorner.com/1633/how...life-for-n900/

http://www.shoutpedia.com/how-to-imp...-life-in-2027/

The Following User Says Thank You to dtparikh For This Useful Post:
Joseph.skb & dtparikh, did you even read what he wrote?

mishmich, it was subtle tech ninja's. Don't talk about it, you might jinx it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Joseph.skb & dtparikh, did you even read what he wrote?

mishmich, it was subtle tech ninja's. Don't talk about it, you might jinx it!
@Vi, you're right, we forgot to read the last para.

By the way, nothing mystic about the extended-hopeful battery life. It happens to every user once in a lifetime. Don't bother crossing your fingers also. I once had a full battery status for over 24 hours and then it started dropping 1 bar every few hours later.

Which makes me wonder...it seems the battery consumption does not accurately equal consumption, can someone come up with a program to fool the device on it's battery consumption?

Maybe we need this...

Batteries that Recharge in Seconds
A new process could let your laptop and cell phone recharge a hundred times faster than they do now.

http://www.technologyreview.com/ener...od=related&a=f

Thanks for the tips folks.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Firstly, how old is your battery? Could be time for a change???

You may find some other threads talking about checking CPU consumption and battery usage. Also, you could install BatteryGraph to see what's draining the battery.

But basically, if you run PR1.3, with wifi on 24/7, battery life could drain within 1-2 days. From my experience, GPS tends to consume battery life - so, turn off GPS applications if not in use.
hy .. sorry my bad english... i've buyed the n900 about a week ago.. the charger which came with the phone say's it's output power is 5v and 1300 mah... that means your 1350 phone battery is fully charged in about 1 hour.. which is very fast but not a quality charge.. my battery lasted about 1 day... i've buyed a 5v - 380 mah charger ( with microusb adapter).. and the charging is very slow ( about 4 hours fully charge) .. but it's a quality charge... my phone last's about 2 days or more.. i hope it helped.. try this.. it worths

Originally Posted by razvan_stefan_razz View Post
hy .. sorry my bad english... i've buyed the n900 about a week ago.. the charger which came with the phone say's it's output power is 5v and 1300 mah... that means your 1350 phone battery is fully charged in about 1 hour.. which is very fast but not a quality charge.. my battery lasted about 1 day... i've buyed a 5v - 380 mah charger ( with microusb adapter).. and the charging is very slow ( about 4 hours fully charge) .. but it's a quality charge... my phone last's about 2 days or more.. i hope it helped.. try this.. it worths
My battery normally takes ~2hrs+ to fully charge using the standard charger. If I use USB charger, it takes about 4hrs.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
My battery normally takes ~2hrs+ to fully charge using the standard charger. If I use USB charger, it takes about 4hrs.

Mine too. I rarely use the USB port to charge. Presumably the slower charge means it is charging at a lower amperage? Do you notice any appreciable difference in the length of charge from a USB port compared to the electric charger? I can't say I have, when I have charged that way.

Mine is still holding a charge for between 1.5 & 2.5 days. I did take the advice and remove the three monitoring widgets I was running. That only leaves a couple (including weather) left that I like to keep on.

I did trash my easy debian install a month or so back, and haven't got round to re-installing it. I wonder how much juice running easy debian takes up? I only had it for occasional Iceweasel and OO Write/Calc use - and haven't really missed it much. I think having a charge last 2 rather than 1 day would be a good enough reason to not bother with it. I wish there was something like AbiWord on maemo, like the recent implementation of Gnumeric...