Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
Eh, personally, I disagree with calling it a laptop or computer. It's not either of those, imo. It's an internet tablet. it's designed to use the internet, in whatever form or fashion that means to you.
But it is a computer. All it is is Debian with a different window manager than most desktop distros, and you can do everything with it that that would imply.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
But it is a computer. All it is is Debian with a different window manager than most desktop distros, and you can do everything with it that that would imply.
I agree that it is technically a computer, but I don't think, in its current state, that attempting to introduce a noob to the tablet series by saying it's a little computer is 100% accurate, or the best method.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I agree that it is technically a computer, but I don't think, in its current state, that attempting to introduce a noob to the tablet series by saying it's a little computer is 100% accurate, or the best method.
I've talked to a lot of people about my 770 and my N800. "Internet Tablet" meant nothing to most of them (a long-winded explanation of the concept isn't appropriate for the setting, and hasn't proven very successful the few times I've tried it), and comparing it to an iPhone offends my good sensibilities (and implies a lot of things which aren't true). But a really, really small computer? Well, that has worked perfectly in getting across the concept to most of the people I've talked to and makes for a very short explanation anyway.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
I think it is the most honest way. Otherwise they are in for some surprises if they buy one for themselves. We've already seen some users like that turning up here and not very happy about what they got vs. what they were sold on.

renerene: if you already found this forum, and even made a post... I'd say you should keep it. You will be ssh-ing to your freebsd box in no time

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I suppose my reservations with comparing the IT to a computer is in the uses. For me, if I'm going to drop ~$400 on say the N810, I could easily get a cheap laptop for that, and do so much more.

However, with said laptop, I can't stick it in my pocket, and I likely can't do (as easily) alot of the other things that an IT is good for. Hence my personal description of an Internet Tablet bringing the internet to your pocket, in whatever form that is to you (and it will be different to everyone).

However, as I've stated earlier, I don't think there's a right answer to this question of "what is an Internet Tablet?". If you're able to compare it to a laptop, great. I'm able to just say that it's the internet, and whatever you want to do with the internet. To each his own.

The end result is that we all have the same hardware, and yet are getting vastly different uses out of it, which is really neat, if you think about it.

In the search for a canonical explanation of ITness, here's my typical spiel:

It's a Nokia, but it's not a phone. It's what they call an "internet tablet," which means it can't make up it's mind whether it's a PDA or a laptop, but it's leaning towards laptop.
<As appropriate, expound on WiFi & BT DUN connectivity, note-taking ability, BT keyboard, VoIP, quetoo, or whatever other features seem likely to interest the newb undergoing proselytization.>
Then explain that it has replaced my laptop, because anywhere I have an internet connection, I can remote-control my desktop.