Active Topics

thankyou.. all of you. im looking up the mifi right after typing this.

Originally Posted by megaramster View Post
thankyou.. all of you. im looking up the mifi right after typing this.
Also check out datajack. unlimited data for $40/mo. incldg. taxes.
you'd need a portable router with it to make it work with the n810 i guess. i'm seriously considering this.

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Nah, afraid you heard wrong. There was a port of some software called "nohands" to use the N8x0s as bluetooth handsfree units, but no-one could get the audio to work properly.

If you have the skillset, you are more than welcome to have a look. search these forums for "nohands" - you'll soon find it.
I've tried again to debug some time ago. Meanwhile I believe it's a bt problem. I tried with a USB bt-dongle and USB soundcard -> also failed, so at least it seems not to be a hardware limitation. But the arrival of the N900 stopped my efforts.. a shame.

Link to the original topic:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18868

The Following User Says Thank You to MrWeasel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
After i bought my N900 i bought also N810,I love maemo platform but n810 can't do calls. Until now !
I bought Telit GE865 gprs module ( i know, i know, gprs only but i wait a new module ) and make pigs fly.
Telit module can do calls with no more than a earpiece, mike, two resistors & capacitors, a battery and an interface with N810.
It has a lot of functionality like fax, tcp stack ant python script interpreter. http://www.telit.com/en/products/gsm...p_ac=show&p=47
Possible solutions of module integration with N810 :
1 stand alone phone with limited conection with 810 only for dialing and sms
2 make full implementation like data connections & usb sd card increased size storage

Module can be hiden under the 810 hood replacing mini sd card slot wich is almost useless.
I do some hardware hack to PL2303 usb-serial bridge cause telit module have 2.8 volt serial interface.
Attached Images

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-02-11 at 17:30.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
more pics with testing rig
Attached Images

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by tip184 View Post
Yes, sjgadsby is right - MiFi is another device. However, it's smaller than my N800, has a great battery life, and serves as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 computers within 30 feet. It's a great option for those of us who live in the sticks and can't use cable, DSL, or satellite (it is SO much faster than dial-up!). Verizon subscription is $60/month - only downside is the 5 Gigabyte limit. I use it with my N800 and my thinkpad, while my son is also online with his thinkpad. MiFi usually stays at home, as most of the time when I am out and need internet I can use a free wifi hotspot. If I needed to take it with me it's not much more hassle than carrying a credit card.
Cool : I was just contemplating this as a solution to the complete lack of adequate TMobile signal in rural Iowa....but I'm leery of the 5GB limit. ( really want an n900 and would like to use it data only: Gizmo/google voice / The One Ring/DialCentral)

How often do you hit the 5GB limit?

Have you ever used Skype (video calls) with it?

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the local Verizon people...does the Verizon Mifi have GPS capability like the Sprint version?

Speaking Sprint: Has Anyone used the Overdrive (Sprint's updated version of the Mifi)?

Thanks

Snow bound in Central IA...

@blue_led You have waaaay too much time on your hands....I am in awe...

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2010-02-12 at 03:32.

First steps adding Telit 865 module

1 Remove minisd slot
2 Add microsd slot ( mini-microsd adapter ) provisory until I will replace with spring pop-up microsd slot
3 Attach with double side adhesive tape the Telit module
I have 1 big problem : space for sim . Probably i will remove all plastic of sim and solder directly.
Attached Images

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-03-02 at 23:17.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
man, this is beautiful1

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Please keep trying and posting!
This is the great idea and if you will have success, i will try to hack my n810 too.

until now :
micro sd popup socket in place and wired
sim card in place and wired

to do :
serial to module
gsm antena
status led
mic place and wired
earpiece place and wired
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post: