Active Topics

I have a 128MB original Nokia SD, which cannot be read under Windows. It also cannot be read under FreeBSD. It can hardly be read under Linux (takes 5-10 Seconds to mount, though). No problem with N800.

Go figure. Windows says "it is dead", does not mean it is dead. It may also depend on the card reader. Other cards, btw. big and small, work flawless here.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
I have been running a Kingston SDHC SD6/8GB in the internal slot for a week in my N800. It is about half full and I have not had any problems. The 4.2007.26-8 firmware is loaded. So far so good.

I have been using Patriot 8GB class 4 ever since I got n800 (that was over a month ago). No problems with previous firmware + sdhc kernel. With new firmware started to have problems almost immediately.
Last night SD stopped being responsive and I can no longer read it
Of course probably should have kept it in internal slot.

Nokia, please fix this! This is causing me to loose confidence in my device. I can't rely on it if anytime all the data can be lost, and card destroyed. This is really, really bad!

well...pulled the trigger on my new n800...$343 shipped from Compuplus (+extra $10 mailin rebate=$333).....now, picking the memory cards...wondering if it makes a different having a larger card in the external slot versus internal??....sounds like Transcend & Kingston are performing the best based on responses here so far...can anyone point me to a non-HC 4gb card such as Karel mentioned??
...will speeds vary a lot between non-HC/ SDHC? or between Class 4/class 6?

Thanx!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jackass124 View Post
well...pulled the trigger on my new n800...$343 shipped from Compuplus (+extra $10 mailin rebate=$333).....now, picking the memory cards...wondering if it makes a different having a larger card in the external slot versus internal??....sounds like Transcend & Kingston are performing the best based on responses here so far...can anyone point me to a non-HC 4gb card such as Karel mentioned??
...will speeds vary a lot between non-HC/ SDHC? or between Class 4/class 6?

Thanx!
I bought 2 of these: http://www.mobymemory.com/products/M...emory-card.asp

It's a UK company, but maybe it can be found across the pond as well. Note that the Nokia N800 is specifically mentioned as supported device and that the card is compatible with the SDHC standard as well. So if Nokia ever get their sorry act together on this firmware from Hell, the card should work fine in SDHC mode.

I just noticed that the cheap model is out of stock, but they carry a more expensive Transcend version as well:

http://www.mobymemory.com/products/T...MMC-Reader.asp

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
out of curiosity, and as I can't seem to work it out for certain from any of the bugzilla entries... has anyone had this failure using ext2 (or 3) instead of vfat?

cheers,

rob.

I had a 2GB Transcend mini SD which never worked properly with 3.2007 or 4.2007. Would suddenly go into read only mode if there were a large number of writes done on it (Maemo mapper). Worked just fine with a PC though.

Also had a OCZ 4GB 150x (non SDHC) in a dual boot configuration with the 3.2007 firmware which seemed to be working fine.
After flashing the 4.2007, tried the dual boot config again on the same 4G card which got corrupted within a few days.

Had bought an OCZ 8G Class 4 SDHC card before the flash upgrade since I thought the existing 4G OCZ was running fine with the 3.2007 firmware so this one should not cause any major issues with the new firmware. Well, tried dual boot config on this one too and behold, the partition got corrupted again in a few days.

Since then, just to be sure, I reflashed my n800 again with 4.2007 and configured a 2GB kingston elite pro 50x SD for dual boot. Haven't had any major issues with it since then.

Not sure if the first flash with 4.2007 had any problems itself and since there were also reports of SDHC cards getting destroyed, I abstained from using them further (for dual boot) until there was some kind of patch/upgrade available. The 4GB card is in the external slot now - haven't tested downloading anything large to it yet.

(Note: A post reformat, seemed to go ok on the corrupted cards and they apparently seem to be intact).

I have had 2 Sandisk UltraII 2gb cards fail on me. From what I can tell, it happened the first time when I had a problem with the N800 locking up on me and I removed one of the cards before shutting the unit down. The second time I was trying to hot swap the external card. I have another card that was also not accessible, but I was able to rescue it by running check disk on the card in my laptop. I've tried the other 2, but they're DOA. I think it has something to do with the "extend virtual memory" setting in the control panel. I always shut down now before swapping cards and haven't had a problem since. I have not updated to the newest OS yet, so I can't comment on that yet. Hope this was useful.

Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
Only problem was that my pc USB SD/MMC cardreader didnt understand my 8GB Transsend memorycard. But its not N800 problem.
Just use your N800 as a card reader. Plug it in like you would an external card reader (usb cable), and you can mount either of the two cards in the N800.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
I have Transsend 4GB and 8GB cards. So far so good..
so yeah, thats the brand i am using. now i have no worries about upgrading. thanks mika