Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Hi all!

So that's it for me. I enjoyed the N800 while it lasted. I found out i really need a keyboard that works, Flash video and audio that works, Skype video that works and no waiting for someone to port applications that are already available on other Linux platforms (i'm too n00b to do that myself and i don't have the time either). I just want something that works.
So i go for the Eee. My N800 will be gone by sunday and my Eee will be ordered.

I learned a lot here and i wish you all the luck with the N series IT's.

Have fun!

Ton.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Crap, this thing doesn't work? What have I been doing...

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Adéu and have fun with your Eee.

I may follow you after the warranty of my 770 ends. Tomorrow I'm going to take it for repair for the fourth time in a year. Now there's some pinkish flicker on the display and the colours aren't showing properly.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Crap, this thing doesn't work? What have I been doing...
Damn, no one told me this doesn't work... I was happier when I was blissfully ignorant.

I've been reading Internet Tablet Talk from my N810 as I walk the datacenter babysitting servers, blogging direct to Lathe of Dreams using ssh, scp, and web, and managing 156 servers using "ssh -C -X -D3000 user@server" all from this one single Nokia N810.

And *now* you tell me it doesn't work?

Just this week, I dumped DD-WRT on a Linksys WTR54GS "pocket router" solely for N8x0 users. Yesterday, I bought a Buffalo WHR-G54S/125 running DD-WRT solely for Nokia N8x0 users. Next week I'm setting up OpenVPN to allow federal Nokia N8x0 users to connect via the new router.

I have *zero* complaints about the Nokia N810. My 8GB MicroSDHC arrives next week, and between the 2GB internal and 8GB external, almost everything I need will either be on my N810 or accessible from it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Kids,

All he is saying is it's no longer working for him. He's been around a while, so it's not some off-the-cuff comment.

When I first got my N800 I tried to do everything with it. It wasn't until after I got another device (a PP3) that I realized that was pretty futile - for me. Now I use the N800 for its advertised use - pocketable internet - and I'm quite happy restricting it to that use.

Toonje, if you can swing it, try and keep the the N800 around in addition to your new EeePC. Once you have both devices at your disposal, you might find more use (although more defined) from both.

R.
==

Originally Posted by rickh View Post
Kids,

All he is saying is it's no longer working for him. He's been around a while, so it's not some off-the-cuff comment.

Dad,

I could swear he said "I just want something that works."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
see you on http://forum.eeeuser.com/

sweet mods already if you're into that kinda thing in your spare time. here are a few links to get started.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=3982
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2145

Last edited by earl00; 2007-12-07 at 00:09.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
Kids,

When I first got my N800 I tried to do everything with it. It wasn't until after I got another device (a PP3) that I realized that was pretty futile - for me. Now I use the N800 for its advertised use - pocketable internet - and I'm quite happy restricting it to that use.

Toonje, if you can swing it, try and keep the the N800 around in addition to your new EeePC. Once you have both devices at your disposal, you might find more use (although more defined) from both.

R.
==
It wasn't meant as flippant as it sounds. The Nokia N8x0 series isn't yet a "consumer class" device, but the potential is no less there. I can't hand off my Nokia N810 to my wife and expect her to love it, but you couldn't pry it from my hands on the WMATA (DC Metro) or the datacenter floor.

Everything toonje describes does work, but takes some adaptation. It's the very same adaption that Blackberry owners undergo, Treo owners, Sidekick users, etc.

N810 Keyboard: yes, it is small and the ergonomics are odd. It lacks the raised ridges of a Treo or bumps of a Blackberry. I'm able to type very quickly now whether its an email to my boss or vi of server configuration, but I miss some sensation that the keys are separate and distinct.

Flash Video and Audio that Works: Hell, my Sony VAIO TX770P running Ubuntu dogs on some tweakers' overblown flash sites. I wish Youtube worked well, but I really don't care that a teenager's MySpace page doesn't.

Skype Video: The latest version of Skype worked well enough. I've been using Skype and Gizmo on my N810 to place calls and video to my wife, boss, and co-workers. I don't use video often, but I certainly use Skype/Gizmo often.

Waiting for Apps: There are alot more apps, packages, and repositories out there than you see at first glance. Maemo Garage has alot more effort going on than you see in the Downloads link. Outside of Maemo Garage, there's even more. As someone fluent Python and C, I've been scripting and developing for my own N810 without problem. There are number of coders on ITT and Maemo I can't thank enough for their efforts.

I respect toonje's longevity, but I'd have to disagree with each of his points. I hope that the Nokia Internet Tablet succeeds, and I'm willing to invest my own time, money, and effort (as well as that of a few co-workers) to that end.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
An eee, why not just buy a real laptop, I just bought my son a dual core processor, 1GB RAM 160GB HD, dvd/cd burner with a big screen for 600$ US Dollars

If I am going as big as an E, It just seems why not get a real laptop, especially since your screen is the same resolutions as the tablet.

Once you can not put it in your pocket, does it really matter how big your laptop bag is?

Anyway, I am not defending anything, or wishing you would not leave, but an EEE really?

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Once you can not put it in your pocket, does it really matter how big your laptop bag is? ...
We must have been seperated at birth. That is exactly the way I see it.

If I was willing to carry around something EEE sized with me I would demand more screen resolution and less bezel. For that kind of tradeoff in size, there better be 1024x768 waiting at least.

Really I've been baffled for weeks now seeing the EEE compared to pocketable devices. Small compared to a normal laptop, sure. But that would take a trenchcoat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post: